Title: Program Manager, Publications and Data Leadership
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates and experts. As the Program Manager, Publications and Data Leadership, you will support a dynamic association that publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Program Manager, Publications and Data Leadership does
The Program Manager position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity by being strategic and operational in focus. The primary purpose of this role is to ensure that programs are successfully launched, efficiently operating, and continue to improve. Ongoing monitoring of established schedule, budget, and key performance indicators. The Program Manager is responsible for overall direction, coordination, execution, implementation, control, and ongoing support of specific programs, ensuring alignment with organizational strategy, commitments, and goals.
● Leads planning and implementation of projects specifically under AGU’s Community Science Exchange and data leadership.
● Facilitates scope definition, goals, and deliverables.
● Defines tasks and resource requirements.
● Develops project plans.
● Assembles and coordinates project team.
● Manages project budget and schedule.
● Plans and schedules project timelines.
● Tracks project deliverables.
● Provides direction and support to project team.
● Works with project team to determine and ensure quality assurance.
● Constantly monitors and reports on progress to stakeholders.
● Manages internal and external stakeholders.
● Implements and manages project changes.
● Documents all aspects of a project.
● Presents reports defining project progress, problems, and solutions.
● Facilitates lessons learned, assesses results, and evaluates project.
● Other duties as assigned.
What the Program Manager, Publications and Data Leadership brings to the team
● 5+ years of experience in scientific research/project management/data management with an Earth and space science related Master’s Degree (PhD Preferred), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Previous experience with publication workflow
Previous experience with Earth and space science data/software management is a must.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The ability to communicate easily and effectively with both international and domestic members as well as AGU staff and leaders, in public and private settings.
• Strong proofing and editing skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others.
• Strong time management and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail and ability to manage complex logistics.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft suite of products, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word; experience with WordPress, HTML, and Photoshop is desirable.
• Knowledge and experience in meetings digital applications is strongly preferred.
• Ability to adapt and support new and changing technologies.
• Excellent facility with numbers; ability to prepare budgets and financial projections is required.
• Ability to negotiate positive results with the ability to work independently to achieve expected results is required.
• Highly motivated with the ability to work independently and use good judgment in identifying and executing solutions.
• Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Ability to exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
• Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume.
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check and verification of vaccination against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for any legally required accommodation.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.