Position Title: Registered Dietitian
Facility: Humboldt General Hospital
The Registered Dietitian will work closely with the Director of Food and Nutrition Services and the interdisciplinary health care team to provide a patient-centered nutrition approach for inpatients and outpatients. The Registered Dietitian will provide evidenced-based practice guidelines and use the patient medical record system to successfully coordinate nutrition care. Provide nutrition counseling and education to patients/residents and their family as needed as well as clients referred by the HGH Wellness Program and HGH Cardiac Rehab Program, and outpatients referred by their primary care physician.
The Registered Dietitian will communicate thoroughly and effectively with other members of the health care team and provide input into patient care policies, programs, quality improvement activities, and provides in-service education in areas of expertise.
- In-Patient Services (Acute Care, swing bed, ICU, OB): Provides comprehensive nutrition assessment, education and monitoring based on evidence-based standards and nutrition practice guidelines of patients identified at nutritional risk. Provides input in the care plan.
- Harmony Manor/Quail Corner: Provide initial assessment and quarterly updates (including dining experience), and reassessments due to significant change of the residents. Coordinate and participate in nutrition Care Plan activities including completion of applicable portion(s) of MDS for each resident.
- Outpatient services, Wellness Program and Cardiac Rehab Program: Review referrals to ensure all components received, schedule patients and provide comprehensive nutrition assessments, monitoring and recommendations to referring provider as applicable. Serve as an instructor for the HGH DBA Living Well with Diabetes Self-Management Program. Reach out to referring physicians to share nutrition services opportunities for their patients as needed.
- Provide appropriate documentation of all visits in electronic medical record/transcription service as well as Data Processing with charge information as necessary.
- Evaluate effectiveness of the care plan and communicate effectively to the other members of the healthcare team to provide optimal nutrition outcomes. Provide pertinent information in the medical records and patient plan of care, while meeting requirements of federal, state, and local regulatory agencies.
- Participate in requested meetings and discharge planning for patients and residents as appropriate/indicated.
- Refer to the Nutrition Care Manual for use by Dietary Department, Nursing Departments, and Harmony Manor staff.
- Communicate effectively and coordinate plans with the Wellness Coordinator.
- Provide consultation to Food Service Manager on menu development and selection for in-patient, LTC, and cafeteria to reflect emphasis on prevention and wellness.
- Provide periodic observation and evaluation of food service (including menus) to ensure the dietary department accuracy, nutrition content, appearance, quality and temperature of meals and provide recommendations to the Director of Food and Nutrition Services and/or Food Service Manager.
- Provide in-service training for dietary staff, nursing personnel and physicians as requested.
- Participate in updating policies and procedures in collaboration with other dietitians (including acute care, long term care, out-patient programs, HGH Cardiac Rehab Program, HGH Wellness Program) and dietary department as needed to reflect current procedures and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Participate in continuous quality improvement activities as need is identified.
- Provide other nutrition related events and services as assigned (i.e. Health Fairs, Support groups, etc.).
Possess knowledge of nutrition and dietetics demonstrated through the completion of a Bachelors degree in Nutrition and/or Dietetics.
Must hold current registration through the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association and be able to maintain ongoing registration while providing verification of registration annually.
Maintain current licensure as required by State Law if applicable.
Previous experience in long-term care preferred.
Must be able to communicate effectively and function independently.
Position requires ability to use computer to utilize electronic medical records.
Able to read, write and speak the English language in an understandable manner.
Possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
Ability and willingness to work harmoniously with professional and non-professional personnel.
Ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing practices.
Knowledge of the laws, regulations, and guidelines affecting management of dietetic services.
Ability to plan, organize, implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures, etc. that are necessary for providing services.
Basic knowledge of computer
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Light to moderate physical effort (lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 lbs)
Frequent prolonged standing/walking
Manual dexterity and mobility
Visual acuity with or without correction
Working Conditions: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work typically performed by an employee. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
Handles emergency or crisis situations
Works in clean, air-conditioned, well-lit environment
Subject to work under stressful situations and time constraints
Subject to many interruptions
Occasionally subjected to long irregular hours
Required Protective Equipment:
Gown, medical gloves, face shield as necessary and other equipment as required by OSHA regulations and hospital policy.
Review: I have read and understand the job description for the position of Dietitian. The expectations of my job have been explained to me and I have had an opportunity to ask questions. I acknowledge that the contents of this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by person assigned to this position and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills of the person so classified. Further, I certify that I am capable of meeting the personal/physical/licensure/certification requirements of this position.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly.