Death though heart-wrenching can be beautiful. Its rituals can be meaningful, and disposition of the body can be gentle and natural.
Recompose is an ecological death care company based in Seattle and Kent, Washington. When we opened in December 2020, Recompose became first organization in the world to offer regular NOR services (natural organic reduction), where human bodies are converted into soil. We are building the Recompose model to offer an authentic, participatory experience for families and a natural return to the earth for the dead.
Recompose is seeking to add a Services Assistant to our growing team. This is a position frequently described in the industry as a funeral directors assistant or a funeral assistant. This Services Assistant will be an empathetic secondary contact with our clients and help create the Recompose experience. The Services Assistant reports to our Services Manager.
Responsibilities will include managing soil deliveries, assisting Recompose guests, and acting as backup for the person who manages the front desk at Recompose HQ. The Services Assistant will also work with the Services Specialists to create opportunities for ritual and ceremony with chosen friends and family members including online/virtual events, home funerals, and events in nontraditional or outdoor environments.
This role is an opportunity to help us create deep ecological change within the industry. The Services Assistant will help us build an intentional culture of hospitality and inclusion that we will maintain as we grow. This person should be passionate about helping Recompose create a radical new death care paradigm and about helping to heal the environment through this work.
Help create a comforting, inspiring experience for clients and their chosen friends and family:
- Assist funeral directors with any events held onsite, including help set up for services, arrange conferences, and visits in the family prep room.
- Help maintain the guest facilities, not including any preparation or NOR areas.
- Help guests with parking and finding where they need to go for services or visits.
- Set up equipment for services, including audio-visual equipment. may run the technical parts of online services (admitting guests, running background music, setting the camera)
- Assist Services personnel with the movement of bodies before services or before visits in the family prep room.
- Assist our transportation service with checking in new bodies
- Answer customer inquiries in a professional manner, either by phone or in person.
- Assist in setting appointments and service times.
- Contact clients to ensure that arrangements are correct.
- Cover for the front desk staff when that staff member needs breaks or is on leave.
- Point person on soil
- Will make sure all soil paperwork is completed before pickup
- Will keep NOR informed on soil expectations and pickup
- Will handle in person pickups, whether for full-soil or containers
- Will arrange mailing for containers being shipped
- Ship additional products to families for the Services department.
- With other Recompose team members, maintain client database with an emphasis on those items required for death certificates and for planning meaningful ceremonies.
- Continually look for opportunities to improve the client experience.
- May occasionally have to work evenings or weekends with other Service team members if services are scheduled on such days/times.
Champion Recomposes mission:
- In conjunction with the entire team, help create a new paradigm for sustainable, meaningful death care.