- Reports to: Art Director
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Production
- Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
- Minimum compensation: $56,000
American Progress is seeking a versatile and creative Digital Designer to join the Art team. This individual will work as part of a team to produce websites and webpage layouts; social media graphics; data visualizations; web figures and graphics; print reports; marketing materials; and event branding. The Digital Designer will develop creative design solutions to help American Progress grow a modern, forward-thinking digital strategy and communicate progressive ideas and arguments through clear, visually compelling design. The position’s primary responsibilities will include webpage and social media asset design as well as branding work and layout and production of print publications. This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
The Digital Designer will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Develop wireframes, page design mock-ups, and prototypes for landing pages, websites, and web-based interactives.
- Design and develop digital brands.
- Conceive and create assets for various social media accounts.
- Design email templates and develop digital newsletter properties.
- Design, lay out, and produce reports and other publications.
- Create charts, graphs, and other data visualizations from raw data, working with report authors to tell compelling stories.
- Design branding for campaigns and events.
- Manage print and graphic workflow.
- Attend weekly pitch meetings for design requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design experience or a related major.
- At least three to five years of professional design experience.
- At least two years of user experience and user interaction design.
- A strong portfolio of web and digital design work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Highly creative, versatile, and willing to learn and grow on the job.
- Ability to develop creative solutions to strategic challenges.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with the latest versions of Adobe XD, Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS environment as well as with Microsoft Office suite.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Additional experience and proficiency with the following are desirable but not required:
- Statistics and data analysis.
- Advanced data visualization.
- Front-end development.
- Photo editing.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a starting salary of $56,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.