Picture yourself at an amazing organization committed to inspire a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography and superb educational programs. At Houston Ballet, we recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming and anti-racist organization where students, dancers, musicians, production crew, staff, trustees and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. Join us, and youll be surrounded by creative teams who challenge you, support you, inspire you, and celebrate artistic achievement.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.houstonballet.org
The Company Pianist plays for ballet rehearsals and classes.
- Substantial experience, 5 years, playing piano with a major dance company. (Preferred).
- Bachelor of Music degree in Piano Performance or certification.
- Knowledge of core Ballets
- Demonstrate diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- Basic computer skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned;
- Provides musical accompaniment for rehearsals. Attends tech and dress rehearsal of assigned ballets.
- Play an average of 30 hours per week of scheduled rehearsal and class in addition to personal practice time.
- Prepares music for rehearsal. Adapts, arranges, learns and studies (using available audio or video materials), piano transcription of orchestral, chamber, concerto, operatic, choral scores as well as piano solo scores.
- Under supervision of conductors, consults with choreographers and rehearsal coaches regarding such musical aspects as tempo, phrasing, counting, cutting music, extending music via repeats or additional pieces.
- Maintains accurate and detailed descriptions of choreography in rehearsal scores.
- Serves as liaison between choreographers/rehearsal coaches, Music Coordinator and music librarian and conductors.
- Selects music for and plays technique ballet classes.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with choreographers, dancers and rehearsal coaches and others by building rapport, listening, and responding to their needs and being easy to approach.
- Continue to practice piano and demonstrate continued technical proficiency.
- Consistently communicate musical revisions to Music Director/ Conductor/ Music Coordinator and seeks approval for such revisions on a timely basis.
- Be consistently available, ready, and prepared for company class, dress, and technical rehearsals.
- Organizes and communicates information clearly.
- Demonstrates ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Is prepared to rehearse/perform all repertoire prior to the first rehearsal.
- Responds to requests regarding musical/technical stage information from the Production Department in a timely manner.
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.
- Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic)
- Regular Tuesday Saturday with availability to work nights and Sundays as necessary
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access Statement:
Houston Ballet Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.
Houston Ballet embraces inclusion, diversity, equity and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. Inclusion, diversity, equity and access are instrumental in the fulfillment of our mission and values. We address the challenges of our future in a culture that honors what is unique in all of us. Join us, together we are Houston Ballet.
Houston Ballets shared values are essential to our success as a world-class ballet company and academy. These values guide our decisions and behaviors and shape our culture.
- EXCELLENCE: We are passionate about results. Our programs are recognized and awarded for excellence. We are committed to delivering quality programs at the highest standard. Work in all departments matches the caliber of the programming on stage.
- ENGAGED: We are proud to be a part of a company that produces art and trains artists. We attend performances and are tremendous advocates for the education and community engagement programs we offer. We are all in and well-versed in the mission of Houston Ballet.
- DRIVEN: We are driven to take goals and run with them. We are excited to deliver results beyond expectations. We are accountable for our actions and work. We reinvent Standard Operations Procedures, leaving our jobs better than we found them. Much of our work product becomes the standard for individuals who will fill our roles in the years to come.
- COLLABORATIVE: We unite around Houston Ballets mission and support each other in reaching goals. We share information widely and generously and treat our team members, customers, and patrons with respect and sensitivity. We embrace inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. We nurture the growth and understanding of how each of us fits into the larger picture and we celebrate organizational achievements.
- PATRON-CENTERED: Our patrons (subscribers/supporters/donors/stakeholders) are at the center of all we do and are at the top of our minds in our decisions and actions. Our patrons are delighted by the excellent customer service they receive at every interaction at Houston Ballet.