Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Reports To: Medical Director and/or Prevention Services Director
The Nurse Practitioner will be responsible for administering care to patients under the direct supervision of the Prevention Services Director with dotted line supervision under a physician to provide Pre Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and Gender-Affirming Care (GAC) to those individuals in LGBTQ community and allies. The incumbent will work 20 hours per week.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follows Texas Nurse Practice Act or Physician Assistant Act for their licensure.
- Initiates an appropriate assessment of the patient's health status, ranging from focused to comprehensive, depending upon the setting (e.g., structured screening, scheduled visit).
- Work with the team (Prevention Services Director, Clinic Nurse, Navigators, Testers) in ongoing clinical development and implementation.
- Consults with colleagues, supervising Physicians, specialists, and other health professionals as appropriate.
- Documents all client PrEP and/or GAC care as appropriate in a timely manner
- Consults with clients by telephone, triaging, and referring these clients to services as appropriate
- Ensures evaluation of lab results as well as other testing results with follow-up of abnormal values as appropriate
- Consults with and refers complex and high priority cases to the collaborating physician regarding complicated diagnostic problems, serious illness, re-evaluation of chronic conditions, etc
- Obtains patients’ health history from interviews of patients and others, and from the review of pertinent health records
- Orders pertinent PrEP and GAC diagnostic tests and procedures
- Performs diagnostic tests and procedures and therapeutic procedures, within the scope of practice, including venipuncture; intradermal tests; intramuscular and subcutaneous injections; administration of medications.
- Collects specimens for and carries out commonly performed blood, urine, stool analyses, and cultures
- Interprets health information and establishes diagnoses consistent with the accumulated data
- Formulates treatment plan, ensuring timely provision of necessary health care services.
- Orders necessary medications and other therapeutic equipment and supplies within the scope of practice (PrEP and GAC)
- Educates and informs patients regarding the nature PrEP and GAC and the progress of evaluation and treatment.
- Educates patients regarding health promotion and disease prevention.
- Analyzes accumulated health information and collect additional observational, interview, historical, physical examination, and diagnostic data, modifying treatment as appropriate
- Makes health record entries that are legible, concise, and timely
- Advocates for the rights of patients
- Maintains current knowledge in the field of practice and informs staff of changes
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment
- Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a team to facilitate the department’s ability to meet its goals and objectives
- Performs other related work as required
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
Must be proficient with EHRs
The ideal candidate is independent, enthusiastic, and highly motivated
3-5 yrs Nurse Practitioner experience required
Bilingual in Spanish is strongly preferred
Ability to lift up to 20 lbs
Prior supervisory experience preferred
Masters or Doctoral degree in Nursing or Physician Assistant from an accredited program
Current unencumbered APRN license or PA-C from the Texas Board of Nursing or Texas Physician Board
Contract position. Competitive salary, no benefits are provided. Must be able to pass a background check.