Title: Career and Student Programs Intern – Summer 2022
Position Type: Full-Time Paid Internship (3 months – July to September)
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates, and experts. As the Career and Student Programs Intern, you will be part of a dynamic association that publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
The Talent Pool team (part of the Affiliation & Engagement group) manages programs related to education, student programs, and career services. AGU’s Talent Pool team works to build the next generation of Earth and space scientists while also increasing our understanding of the barriers to gender and ethnic diversity and involvement within these scientific fields.
What the Career and Student Programs Intern does
- The internship provides an opportunity to learn some of the behind-the-scenes processes of planning events at large scientific conferences, communicate to the membership via monthly newsletters, provide customer service to various stakeholders via email, and gain knowledge about current science education, diversity, and career issues along with program management experience.
- The intern performs data entry and analysis of Talent Pool programs, including travel grants, student competitions, research grants, and other programs. Tasks will include quality control of the data as well as database management. Ability to apply basic statistical analysis and present data to internal staff is also expected.
- The intern may also be asked to assist in science communication activities such as social media engagement, blog posts, and other opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who should apply:
- Undergraduate student, a graduate student, or a recent graduate. Preferred majors include Earth or space sciences or an allied physical or natural science.
- Should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience, poise, and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with AGU staff, volunteers, and members is also required.
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects at the same time on a tight deadline.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail a must.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Office, Excel), internet browsers, and web search engines. Experience using WordPress is a plus. Mastery in using Excel and knowledge of basic statistical methods is a plus. In-house training will be provided on using the AGU membership database and sending newsletters.
- Must be willing to relocate to Washington DC area for the internship at own expense.
Who the Career and Student Programs Intern works with:
- The Career and Student Programs Intern will work closely with the Talent Pool department staff and other AGU staff and reports directly to the AGU assistant director for grants and education programs.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume.
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.