- Is accountable for the delivery of consistently high quality nursing care during their assigned shift
- Functions under the supervision of an RN
- Is accountable for the effective, efficient and safe operations of the Nursing Unit ensuring that the objectives of the Nursing department and the organization are being met
- Ensures appropriate organizational and patient safety practices are in use
- Promotes good public relations through contacts with patients, practitioners, visitors, employees, peers and the public at large
- Maintains and ensures confidentiality of patient information.
- Ensures nursing related tasks are being completed in a safe, competent, appropriate and timely manner. Ensures a safe and accurate medication administration process is being adhered to.
- Organizes and coordinates functions and activities on the Nursing Unit.
- Assists with training and orienting of new departmental staff as directed.
- Assists in maintaining established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality improvement program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Assists in maintaining departmental reports and records and collects statistical data for administrative and regulatory purposes as directed.
- Assists in implementing unit specific goals and objectives in keeping with overall nursing and organizational goals and objectives.
- Assists in maintaining adequate and effective communication between the nursing unit and ancillary departments for the purpose of problem solving and improved patient care processes. Utilizes appropriate lines of communication within the nursing department.
- Interacts with others (on the phone or in person) in a positive, professional and appropriate manner.
- Works cooperatively with others. Has respect for and an understanding of the contributions of all team members.
- Ensures that appropriate nursing standards and practices are met.
- Provides direct patient care and evaluates outcomes. Consults with others as required and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure optimal patient care and patient outcomes.
- Documents adequately and appropriately. Ensures that documentation reflects current patient status, changes in patient status, care and treatment planned and currently being rendered, patient response to treatment and care, etc.
- Assesses patient and family needs. Ensures adequate patient care based on patient needs by performing and/or appropriately delegating tasks as required.
- Acts as liaison between personnel, Medical Staff and other departments. Reports issues/complaints to the Charge Nurse and/or Nursing Supervisor.
- Attends required meetings and actively participates on nursing committees.
- Promotes professional staff development.
- Promotes a safe environment that allows for the delivery of high quality patient care.
- Protects patient confidentiality by promoting and enforcing appropriate staff communication practices.
- Ensures practitioner orders are carried out using sound nursing judgment.
- Works shifts as required. Occasionally takes “call”.
- Practices within the LPN scope of practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduate of approved LPN Program and licensed to practice in the State of Kentucky
Zero to six months of appropriate departmental experience
One or more years of appropriate departmental experience