Friends' Central School Overview
Friends' Central School is an independent, coeducational Quaker day school founded in 1845 and serving approximately 819 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located in the Philadelphia suburbs, the School has two campuses. The Middle & Upper Schools are located just outside of West Philadelphia in Wynnewood, and the Lower School is on our Old Gulph Road campus in the heart of Wynnewood.
The exceptional faculty at Friends' Central offers a curriculum that cultivates the intellectual, spiritual, and ethical growth of our students. Our pedagogy is grounded in continuing revelation, reflection, integrity, and a willingness to accept responsibility. From Nursery to grade 12, our students participate in a process designed to foster creative, critical, and flexible thinking, along with compassion. As they transform from playful children to skilled, self-possessed teenagers, they are always intellectually curious and engaged thinkers. Friends Central prepares graduates to succeed in college and in life.
Assistant Water Polo Coach
The Assistant Water Polo Coach is responsible for aiding in the coaching and administration of the Water Polo program for the Upper School. The Assistant Water Polo Coach provides a service to the athletic department by aiding the Head Water Polo Coach in coordinating and conducting all aspects of the water polo program, including but not limited to practices, competitions, and the monitoring of academic progress of student athletes. Qualified applicants will enhance the School’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity and understand and will be committed to the School’s Quaker values and mission. August 21 (preseason) - November 10.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for assisting in the coaching and directing of the water polo program, including but not limited to organizing and supervising practices and competitions;
- Develop and improve participant sport skills;
- Commitment to and monitoring student athlete academic progress and academic advisement;
- Provide leadership and general team management in the areas of practice, skill, and character development;
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required/Desired Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Considerable knowledge of coaching water polo including competitions, practices, strength/conditioning (dry land practice);
- Maintain fun-first environment with participants mental and physical wellbeing at forefront;
- Ability to create drills and run practices effectively with emphasis on developing player skills and attention to goalies as well as field players;
- Preferred knowledge of NFHS water polo rules and regulations;
- Preferred 1+ years of water polo coaching experience at any level or higher OR previous experience playing at a competitive level (includes varsity and club);
- Knowledge and ability to ensure academic success of student athletes;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with head coach, athletic administrators, students, parent body, and the community;
- Effective verbal and written communications, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Child welfare and criminal background clearances will be required of the successful applicant;