The Director of Marketing and Advertising will lead, plan, direct, and implement the marketing and advertising strategies on behalf of the Norton Museum of Art. This role will report to the Chief Development and External Affairs Officer and work in tandem with the Chief Media Relations Officer to frame the Museum's content strategy and messaging as it relates to the development of the Norton's brand to promote its world-class Collection of art and innovative special exhibitions. The Director will be accountable for:
Maximizing outreach to and engagement of diverse audiences across the Palm Beach County community, nearby regions and nationally through marketing and paid media strategies that communicate the relevancy of the Museum, the permanent collection and exhibitions, programs and events, and more.
Overseeing a growing Department that includes a Digital Communications Officer and a Communications Assistant (shared with the Chief Media Relations Officer) and manage a robust marketing and advertising budget
Collaborating and working in close partnership with colleagues across the Museum as a catalyst for innovation, creating plans for new communication channels and refreshing the community outreach infrastructure of the museum, as well as shaping institutional strategy to support Museum decisions regarding outreach, visitor experience and public offerings. Most specifically, the Director of Marketing and Advertising will partner with the Chief Media Relations Officer, Director of Creative Services, Director of Museum Services, and the Director of Membership to ensure visitor data collection is maximized to support outreach and engagement with the Museums current and future visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop a strategic, integrated communications and marketing strategy that leverages traditional, social and digital media to promote the museums Collection, special exhibitions, educational programs, events, community and fundraising initiatives, tourism engagements, as well as select initiatives to maintain and deepen the museums reach, visibility, attendance and visitor loyalty.
- Provide clear and impactful institutional voice to strengthen Museums brand and initiatives to further amplify the Norton as a thriving arts organization and anchor to the local community, as well as regionally and nationally.
- Oversee, produce, and approve external marketing communications including, but not limited to, institutional messaging for our promotional materials, advertising campaigns, social + digital media, visitor and member campaigns, and website content to ensure consistent messaging and branding with a unified voice.
Oversee all aspects of marketing project management and production schedules, including media planning and placement, social media planning and scheduling, publicity photo shoots, internal/external approval of materials ensuring all campaigns are on track to meet strategic
- objectives. The artistic development of these materials, particularly design and videography, would be completed in close collaboration with the Director of Creative Services.
- Establish, measure, and track marketing goals, leveraging analytics and performance data to inform and shift marketing strategies, as necessary.
- Serve as a liaison to internal/external constituents including visitors, members, vendors, partner agencies, community leaders, and peer institutions, supporting Chief Media Relations Officer where appropriate in media relationships and beyond.
- Collaborate with neighboring Palm Beach County organizations, attractions, and events to leverage marketing partnerships and promotional strategies.
- Develop and manage a financial budget that supports strategic multi-channel marketing plans and programs. Accountable for cost containment, coordinating activities of cross-functional teams, identifying appropriate resources needed, and developing realistic schedules to ensure timely completion of strategic plans.
- With the Director of Creative Services develop a comprehensive Norton communications toolbox that includes leadership bios and headshots, news release, branding and style guide, digital asset library, and media database.
- Coordinate with other museum department leaders to ensure consistent messaging and branding throughout the organization.
- Collaborate with the Museums Membership program to support member communications, acquisition campaigns, and stewardship initiatives with clear and consistent messaging which contributes to the overall communications strategy.
- Partner with the Director of Museum Services to implement new data collection initiatives and evaluate visitor data to make recommendations to the Director and Sr. Staff in support of institutional decisions.
- Align with Chief Media Relations Officer on strategic communications and strategies to present the Museums brand story and build a positive image for the public.
- The aesthetics and visual identity of all promotional materials will be developed with the Director of Creative Services as it relates to printed, digital, and video-based assets for brand consistency. There will also be close collaboration through the editorial content process in partnership with the Copy Editor & Project Manager within the Creative Services Department.
- Supports a robust internal communication structure for Museum employees and Board communications, alongside the HR Department and Chief of Staff and Governance.
- Provide strong leadership and set clear expectations and goals for all marketing team members leading by example and providing ongoing feedback and annual performance evaluations.
- Recruit, hire and manage regular and freelance staff, including social media and website managers, communication assistants, interns, and advertising agencies.
- Instill a sense of purpose and high institutional standards for the Nortons written and verbal communications and branding to be engaging, clear, typo-free, and accurate.