Tech Impact - Data Innovation Lab
Data Scientist - Fellowship 1 Year
- Join an innovative, like-minded team that focuses on your personal growth and accelerating your career!
- Use your skills and experience for social good
- Earn $70,000 per year plus a great host of benefits
- Fellowship Program Runs From June 2023 to June 2024
- Position is in Newark DE
- If you have questions about our program, please contact Devie Smith – Devie@techimpact.org / 302 530 8457
Tech Impact's Data Innovation Lab (Tech Impact) exists to engage local and global organizations in an ongoing conversation around the use of advanced data analytics and artificial intelligence to fast-forward research ideas out of the lab and into the marketplace.
Our mission is to develop novel data and analytics approaches that can disrupt the status quo and fundamentally alter a current issue or problem. Using best practices, diverse industry experience, access to technical and scientific talent, and core technologies, the lab will solve community-based issues while attracting national talent to the region and providing work for the technical and innovative talent of Delaware.
For more information, visit our website.
About the Opportunity
Tech Impact is looking for Data Scientists to join our team for a 1-year Fellowship Program in New Castle County, Delaware. The Fellowship Program will run from June 2023 to June 2024 and is a hybrid role. The successful candidate will have or will establish residence in Delaware.
The Fellowship is intended for technologists with a deep technical skill set and a strong desire to serve their communities. As a Data Scientist, you will work with our partners to design, develop, and deploy production-grade solutions to social good problems. You will be expected to collaborate across projects to generate hypotheses, develop models, and create products. Your work will directly lead to improving the lives of people in communities in Delaware and beyond.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Analyze data for trends and patterns through both exploratory and hypothesis-driven approaches
- Organize and communicate findings to clients and stakeholders
- Select and apply analytical techniques and modeling methods aimed at supporting problem sets focused on data used for social good
- Propose tangible machine learning solutions, helping to build products that advance the Lab’s goals
- Serve as an authority in machine learning data education/application amongst clients/stakeholders
- Tactically develop production-grade models while thinking strategically about public impact/relevance
- Contribute to innovative projects, specifically to idea generation, idea incubation, and/or experimentation
- Serve as a liaison between government, corporate, community, and non-profit teams to drive the application of machine learning solutions into real-world applications
- When relevant, support authorship of academic papers, presentations, white papers, and other publications by conducting analyses and producing visualizations.
More About You
Our preferred candidate has a Master's degree or above in statistics, mathematics, computer science, psychology, public health, or another related quantitative field. However, undergraduates or individuals who have relevant training will also be considered.
In addition, we require strong skills, experience, and knowledge in the following:
- A background and/or strong commitment to leveraging data for social good
- A minimum of 3 years of hands-on coding experience in Python / R / Julia or any other open-source programming language
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant delivery of complex analytical projects
- Experience working with version control platforms, especially Git / GitHub
- Ability to work closely with other Data Lab members to perform ETL using SQL
- A self-motivated thinker that works well independently and on collaborative teams.
- Ability to translate complex data science jargon into meaningful, actionable insights for technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to organize and prioritize work efficiently and effectively
- A preference for experience working in cloud environments (preference for those with Azure experience)
- Experience with Agile or Scrum methodologies is highly desirable
- A preference for experience handling confidential data and information with integrity in a shared cloud environment
About the Benefits
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a salary of $70,000 per year plus a great host of benefits, including:
- Hybrid workplace (60% remote)
- Medical, dental, vision health benefits - 90% cost paid by Tech Impact
- Wellness card that pays your co-pays
- Accidental death and life insurance plan
- 401K plan
- 15 days paid time off
- Job placement upon completion of the 1-Year Fellowship
And that's not all! You will be welcomed into an innovative and supportive environment. If you think you've got the skills to take on this rewarding and challenging role, apply today!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Tech Impact embraces diversity and does not discriminate in employment based on age, race, color, creed, sex, gender, identity, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
- ADA Specifications: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Requires the ability to speak, hear, see and use a computer and other office-related equipment.
- Also requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time, stand, stoop, crawl and lift to 50 lbs.
- May require local and regional travel.