This position plays a key leadership role in our Finance Department. This role will support senior stakeholders to forecast future needs using a long-term planning process and make informed decisions that improve company performance.
The Director, Financial Planning and Budgeting, is responsible for leading and managing all reporting and budgeting functions within the organization. Duties include overseeing the annual planning and budgeting process and translating strategic operating goals into financial and performance targets. For this role we seek a collaborative partner, a decisive and influential communicator, and an analytically oriented finance leader. This individual will interact at the leadership level and guide the network of Business and Operations professionals across all departments in the organizations. This is a hybrid position based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
- Lead the organization-wide budgeting, forecasting, long-term planning, implementation and business strategic analysis. This includes conducting financial analysis, modeling, and forecasting reports to ensure efficient financial operations.
- Ensure the appropriate levels of cross-organization coordination of the annual planning and budgeting process through effective communication, integration of business processes in operations, technical design, and administrative support functions. Present updates to the Chief Financial Officer to ensure timely and efficient decision-making support. Be the trusted advisor to the CFO for confidential cross functional resource allocation strategies and analytics.
- Act as finance business partner with department heads, advising leadership about resource utilization, modeling performance scenarios, and guiding them through the annual planning and budgeting process.
- Provide strategic subject matter expert-level input to the upcoming review of operation and financial planning tools, ensuring that the organization’s future global requirements are incorporated into the recommendation.
- Manage the accounting software system, Intacct, to ensure alliance with budget process.
- Liaise with our budget software vendor to ensure appropriate cost-effective levels of support to implement enhancements to the budget system as needed.
- Design and implement dynamic and flexible projection/forecasting processes that enhance the timely allocation of resources, including achievement of annual budget goals, performance trends in expense and revenue, and drivers of performance variance vs budgets and prior years.
- Identify and train staff in effective budgeting and forecasting procedures.
- Develop system-based analytic models that explore new and ongoing issues about organization-wide performance, including risk and opportunity-based scenarios, budget accuracy, staff program and organization efficiencies, and long-term trend performance for visibility to the Chief Financial Officer to make strategic business decisions that inform the Board of Trustees
- Interpret financial data to identify trends and potential problems that may affect the organization’s financial health.
- Prepare and distribution of financial statements, coordinate with external auditors, and identify areas for improvement in the reporting process.
- Ensure that reports, filings, and documentation comply with the organization policies, professional standards, and GAAP reporting guidelines.
- Supervise the Manager of Financial Planning and Budgeting position and the duties of that role
- Oversee all financial reporting activities, ensuring accuracy and compliance with regulatory requirements
- Manage projects and provide ad-hoc financial analyses to support the Chief Financial Officer
- Performs other duties as assigned.