Picture yourself at an amazing organization committed to inspire a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography and superb educational programs. At Houston Ballet, we recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming and anti-racist organization where students, dancers, musicians, production crew, staff, trustees and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. Join us, and you'll be surrounded by creative teams who challenge you, support you, inspire you, and celebrate artistic achievement.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.houstonballet.org
As the Public Relations Manager, you'll maximize Houston Ballet's external presence in the media and assist the Director of Marketing & PR in all projects pertaining to the Marketing and PR department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Develop and implement annual PR plan that supports Houston Ballets strategic plan, aligns with institutional priorities, and promotes performances and programs
- Craft pitches, book interviews, and coordinate all media coverage including print, TV and radio
- Maintain high visibility for Houston Ballet by identifying and securing local, regional, national, and international press opportunities and coverage
- Serve as primary liaison with earned media and press on a local, regional, national, and international level
- Effectively build and cultivate relationships with the media and develop story ideas for coverage
- Accompany all interviewees at/to scheduled appointments
- Prepare Houston Ballet spokespeople for interviews by organizing media trainings and drafting briefing notes
- Coordinate media press tickets, assembling press kits, and maintain press list database.
- Manage press table on opening night performances and other performances as assigned
- Write and distribute press releases, media advisories, and PSAs
- Manage tracking, monitoring software, reporting, and archiving of press coverage
- Share press coverage with key staff members and stakeholders on a regular basis
- Manage Houston Ballet blog
- Works with colleagues to develop high-quality photography and videography assets
- Execute all job functions while maintaining brand integrity and high-quality work with a patron-centered focus, with a positive, teamwork-oriented attitude
- Assist the Marketing & PR department with all other projects and tasks as assigned
- 3-5 years of Public Relations experience
- Bachelors degree in Public Relations or related field preferred
- Fluency in writing (please include 3 writing samples)
- Prior media relations experience with a proven track record of securing media coverage
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience working efficiently in a fast-paced environment, while managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with a command of grammar and AP style
- A passion for storytelling and sharing the world of dance with the public
- Non-profit or performing arts experience preferred
- Organization/Planning Develops clearly defined, realistic, measurable objectives that are consistent with the company's objectives. Organizes personal workload and sets priorities; Uses time efficiently. Meets deadlines consistently.
- Job Knowledge Possesses the skills, knowledge and expertise required to perform the essential aspects of the job as well as any other specific educational and/or certification requirements
- Communication Communicates effectively in wring and verbally; expresses complex ideas in simple terms. Clearly and concisely expresses in individual or group situations. Comprehends and processes information and responds to communication form others. Communicates, empathizes, uses diplomacy, influences, and gains cooperation. Interacts effectively across functions and levels of the company.
- Flexibility/Adaptability Admits and corrects mistakes; ensures the integrity of work. Accepts constructive criticism or responsibility for outcomes. Effectively responds to change. Adjusts to and accepts changes in direction and priorities. Sees changes in the business or work environment, understands implications and adjusts priorities as needed on short notice.
- Houston Ballet staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation
- Full Time, in-person position - requires significant work time outside the normal business hours
- Light (10%) overnight travel by land and/or air
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access Statement:
Houston Ballet Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.
Houston Ballet embraces inclusion, diversity, equity and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. Inclusion, diversity, equity and access are instrumental in the fulfillment of our mission and values. We address the challenges of our future in a culture that honors what is unique in all of us. Join us, together we are Houston Ballet.
Houston Ballets shared values are essential to our success as a world-class ballet company and academy. These values guide our decisions and behaviors and shape our culture.
- EXCELLENCE: We are passionate about results. Our programs are recognized and awarded for excellence. We are committed to delivering quality programs at the highest standard. Work in all departments matches the caliber of the programming on stage.
- ENGAGED: We are proud to be a part of a company that produces art and trains artists. We attend performances and are tremendous advocates for the education and community engagement programs we offer. We are all in and well-versed in the mission of Houston Ballet.
- DRIVEN: We are driven to take goals and run with them. We are excited to deliver results beyond expectations. We are accountable for our actions and work. We reinvent Standard Operations Procedures, leaving our jobs better than we found them. Much of our work product becomes the standard for individuals who will fill our roles in the years to come.
- COLLABORATIVE: We unite around Houston Ballets mission and support each other in reaching goals. We share information widely and generously and treat our team members, customers, and patrons with respect and sensitivity. We embrace inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. We nurture the growth and understanding of how each of us fits into the larger picture and we celebrate organizational achievements.
- PATRON-CENTERED: Our patrons (subscribers/supporters/donors/stakeholders) are at the center of all we do and are at the top of our minds in our decisions and actions. Our patrons are delighted by the excellent customer service they receive at every interaction at Houston Ballet.