The El Puente Beacon Leadership Center in Williamsburg, Brooklyn is an arts and enrichment program for elementary and middle school youth. The leadership center works with youth in grades 1st – 8th. The Beacon is part of El Puente, a community organization that also conducts advocacy, organizing and health & wellness activities for the community. El Puente programs focus on the integration of a community consciousness and artistic development that allows its members to experience their creative potential while learning about social responsibility.
ARTIST RESPONSIBILITIES & QUALIFICATIONS
• Enthusiastic, Fun, and Energetic Person
• Teach the history of Hip-Hop Culture as well being well versed in the cultures current state in society
• Teach the techniques of acting and theater.
• Work with youth to prepare for shows, presentations, and performances.
• Design curriculum and script that integrates dance and theme-based projects/ performances.
• Lead team building activities, youth group discussions, group games, and leadership activities.
• Attend monthly staff and teaching artist meetings.
• Keep accurate records of youth attendance.
• Responsible for participant retention strategies & activities.
• Work with staff to mentor and support youth, as well as to create a safe, supervised, and welcoming environment
• Work with the rest of the staff to develop outreach and marketing strategies to recruit community members for program as needed (maintaining minimum attendance of 15-20 students per session)
• Work collaboratively with staff and youth in creating projects.
SALARY & WORK HOURS:
SALARY: $30/hourly/10 hours per week