Great things are happening at Sweet Briar College!
If you are looking for a career where people are valued, where you are part of a dynamic team, and where you will make a difference, we want you to apply!
Sweet Briar College is growing and together we are making a difference in the future of our students and employees. The College offers our full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, life insurance, an employer matched 403(b) plan, and the unique ability to offer tuition assistance and tuition exchange opportunities.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Sweet Briar is a liberal arts college for women with a long history of forging female leaders. After a near closure in 2015, the College was saved by its alumnae and underwent dramatic transformation. Today Sweet Briar College is repeatedly named by the US News and World Report as one of the most innovative liberal arts colleges in the nation. Sweet Briar College is financially stable and actively growing again, attracting students who are drawn to it for its excellent liberal arts program, coupled with distinctive programs in women leadership, engineering, sustainability, arts and its legendary equestrian program. Its campus is one of the nation's most spectacular, replete with nature sanctuaries, lakes, forests, trails, and most recently, vineyards, apiary and greenhouses.
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports To: The President
Job Summary/Objective: The Director of Human Resources is the senior HR officer responsible for facilitating effective employment and engagement of the colleges human capital. The Director of Human Resources will create and implement plans that assure acquisition and retention of high-caliber talent, including execution of innovative total compensation strategies. The Director of Human Resources is an experienced, emotionally intelligent change agent and thought leader, with a keen sense of people management strategies. The Director is hands on with responsibility for benefits and payroll administration; but also serves as a strategic partner to leaders across the campus. The Director of Human Resources will develop and adjust HR policies to integrate the Colleges goals with its legal, regulatory, and ethical responsibilities. The Director will be a credible activist, providing guidance and support to all constituents including the Presidents Cabinet. The Director of Human Resources must also demonstrate progressive leadership as the colleges diversity officer by nurturing a culture of honesty, valuing differences, and collaboration among all members of the Sweet Briar community.
Payroll/Student Worker Program Coordinator and HR Generalist
- Provide leadership in establishing and maintaining a College culture that fosters honest communications, collaboration, and collegiality
- Develop and implement effective recruiting and retention strategies consistent with budgetary guidelines
- Responsible for robust and effective onboarding program for all new hires
- Design and implement compensation programs that support retention of top talent, and oversee salary administration
- Oversee and establish diversity, training, leadership, and professional development framework trough professional development and ad-hoc training sessions.
- Serve as the Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Oversee payroll, compensation plans, benefits, recruitment, training and development, and the student employment program
- Manage employee relations issues within all staff departments, and collaborate with the Academic Dean on faculty issues as appropriate; aiding with the successful retention of high-caliber faculty
- Assist supervisors in conducting regular performance management reviews and developing Performance Improvement Plans (PIP)
- In consultation with senior leadership, establish plans for management succession; develop and manage the success of Individual Development Programs (IDP) for recognized high potential employees
- Develop and oversee comprehensive and innovative benefit plans that support retention of top talent, including health and welfare plans, various pension and retirement plans
- Assure that all HR policies are compliant with applicable legal, state and other regulatory requirements and monitor practices to maintain compliance
- Develop and implement fair, consistent HR Policies throughout the College including updating policies and employee handbooks, that are consistent with and support the College culture and values
- Ensure accurate and compliant maintenance of all human resources records including employee documents and payroll-related support records
- Direct investigations of reports of employee misconduct or policy infractions; provide recommendations and leadership for effective resolutions
- Prepare, analyze, and report HR benchmarks to evaluate the success of HR practices
- Complete required reporting for IPEDS, SACS, and CUPA
- Respond to Office of Civil Rights, EEOC, and any employee relations related entities
- Collaborate with Dean of Student Life on student conduct issues
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.