Position Name: Chemistry Student Assistant
Classification of position: Students are only eligible to work for the department once they have completed the lab in which they will be working. Thus, first-year students are not eligible for this position.
Location of Department: Guion
Name of Student Supervisor: Pam Simpson
Position type/Expected work hours: Part time, may work up to four hours per week during a lab session which runs on Monday thru Thursday from 12:50-4:00pm and other hours as needed.
Tasks to be performed:
- Help prep labs for General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry
- Help students during labs
- Set up and take down equipment
- Wipe down labs at the end of class
- Make sure DI water, hand soap and dish detergent bottles stay full
- Check supplies at the end of lab and make sure they are ready for the next section
Essential Responsibilities: Essential functions, knowledge, skills, and abilities, including how an individual is to perform them and frequency at which the tasks are performed. The tasks must be part of the job function and truly necessary or required to perform the job.
Academic prerequisites, skills, and experience needed:
- Must have taken the chemistry lab in which they will be working
- Able to calculate molarity and grams to prepare solutions
- Able to work efficiently and accurately
- Can complete tasks with limited supervision
- Sees what needs to be completed and gets the work done in a timely manner
- Able to communicate with students and offer help as needed
Required Qualifications: Completed lab
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.