Reports to: Director, Disability Justice Initiative
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Rights & Justice
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4/5
Minimum compensation: $56,000/$62,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst with the Disability Justice Initiative. The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst will promote policies on a broad range of issues that improve the lives of people with disabilities and their families, such as protecting the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other key policies and strengthening and supporting health care policy. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the principles of disability justice and ensuring access to the policies and programs that individuals with disabilities and their families need to survive and thrive.
The Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will also assist in identifying and executing on points of connectivity between disability justice issues and American Progress’ five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Develop and advance policies to promote disability justice on a wide range of topics, including the connection between disability and poverty, health care, reproductive rights, reproductive justice, criminal justice, and racial equity.
- Manage projects related to disability policy, conducting original quantitative and qualitative research as well as policy analysis; translate findings for a broader audience.
- Prepare articles, columns, issue briefs, fact sheets, opinion pieces, blog posts, and talking points.
- Analyze pending state and federal legislative proposals as well as administrative policies and regulatory changes, including research on relevant legal precedent and implications.
- Contribute to other American Progress initiatives as appropriate and identify cross-cutting issues and projects.
- Participate in coalition and advocacy efforts.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Assist with creating, editing, and posting on social media accounts.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Sense of humor and flexibility.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in relevant field; J.D. is preferred.
- At least three to five years of experience working on disability policy, with strong knowledge of the ADA, Medicaid, Social Security, and related programs and policies.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Prior political and nonprofit experience—with both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations—is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. This Policy Analyst position has a starting salary of $56,000. The Senior Policy Analyst position has a starting salary of $62,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply