Please click HERE to watch a short video regarding the experience and expectations of Camp Widji Staff prior to completing the application.
Returning Camp Widji seasonal staff? We’d love to have you back! Complete your seasonal staff agreement today and receive a bonus at the end of summer!
Pay: $105 per day
Consistent with the Christian mission and vision of the YMCA of Middle TN, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the Waterfront Coordinator, the Head Lifeguard is responsible for the direct supervision, control, organization, and scheduling of Lifeguards for the beach and pool areas. Head Lifeguard will observe lifeguards, the pool, and pool area and take the proper corrective action as required. S/he is responsible for the appearance, presentation and working order of the pool and beach areas; s/he will check pool chemical levels according to schedule, maintain and adjust chemical levels as directed, and report any chemical problems or hazards to the Waterfront Coordinator or Camp Director. The Head Lifeguard will supervise the care and safety of all campers and staff at all water activities and ensure the camp’s daily program is run efficiently through detailed supervision and objective decision making.
- Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Safeguard the lives of campers, staff and other camp guests in all aquatic areas
- Supervise the pool and beach lifeguards and programs
- Supervise the Spirit of America boater’s safety program canoe portion
- Assist in the supervision of the Canoe With a Parent program
- Enforce facility rules in courteous but firm manner; Safeguard lives of guests and participants
- Comply with YMCA of Middle Tennessee Aquatic Safety Standards and attend all required in-services
- Assist in maintenance of aquatic areas including cleaning and security; Check area for hazardous conditions upon arrival
- Ensure camp programs are delivered to all guests in a safe and fun environment
- Keep swimming area clean and ready for inspections
- Report to work on time, in uniform and at position when shift begins
- Comply with American Red Cross standards to maintain certification
- Secure area by locking all doors and access points when a lifeguard is not on duty
- Follow all rules and safety regulations as set forth by camp
- Ensure each camper has a pleasant experience and goals are adequately met with skills development and progressive curriculum
- Carry out all other tasks/objectives as assigned by the Day Camp Director; maintain a positive working relationship with all staff
- Be alert to program safety factors and potential hazards; prevent accidents and minimize or eliminate hazardous situations; report any problems or hazards to the Day Camp Director or Executive Director