Please click HERE to watch a short video regarding the experience and expectations of Camp Widji Staff prior to completing the application.
Returning Camp Widji seasonal staff? We’d love to have you back! Complete your seasonal staff agreement today and receive a bonus at the end of summer!
Pay: $105 per day
Consistent with the Christian mission and vision of the YMCA of Middle TN, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the Day Camp Coordinator, the Day Camp Counselor will assist in leading groups and providing fun and safe experiences for children. S/he will help the campers acquire a feeling of high self-esteem, self-worth and competence in an outdoor setting. The Day Camp Counselor will help his/her group and its members assert their interests and expand their ideas and knowledge. The Day Camp Counselor will be responsible for the safety and well being of each camper’s sprit, mind and body while in the day camp program.
- Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Ensure safe and risk free environment at all times while meeting the individual needs of the participants
- Act as a role model to campers at all times
- Exhibit good judgment, enthusiasm for the activities and strong awareness of safety
- Assist the Camp Coordinator by being an active and enthusiastic leader, teacher and participant in all camp activities along with his/her group, which may include swimming
- Maintain the general health, happiness and safety of the campers assigned to him/her
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program
- Know, enforce and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas
- Know where all campers are at all times and utilize the buddy system and frequent head counts to ensure campers are always accounted for, especially during free swim time
- Assist with controlling campers and group to ensure each camper is safe and deal with discipline problems based on given guidelines, while keeping Camp Coordinator informed of all concerns
- Follow the weekly-prepared schedule to ensure that all campers participate in all activities; fill free time with activities appropriate for the group; participate and lead songs, games and other activities
- Participate actively and assist in leading in opening and closing ceremonies daily and complete other duties as assigned
- Greet and communicate with parents through camper recognition or notes about camp experiences
- Submit reports, on time, as required
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions