Sweet Briar College is a women's liberal arts institution, located in Central Virginia approximately 12 miles north of Lynchburg and 60 miles south of Charlottesville. Founded in 1901, the Colleges's curriculum encompasses a comprehensive baccalaureate program in the arts, sciences, and humanities, as well as graduate programs in education. It is one of two womens colleges in the United States offering an ABET-accredited engineering degree. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Job Title: Lifeguard
Classification: Non-Exempt -Part-time Student Position
Reports To: Director of Aquatics
- Provide safety coverage of all patrons in the pool facility, both on deck and in the water. Serve as on-site authority to users of the pool facility to ensure a safe environment. Will enact and follow facility EAP when necessary, and provide emergency assistance consistent with training and certification to any and all patrons in need. Will follow proper facility opening and closing procedures to ensure no unauthorized access to the pool.
Position Type/Expected Work Hours:
- Scheduled shifts during Mon-Fri, 6:30-8:30 am and pm; and Saturdays 11:00 am 2:00 pm; not to exceed 20 hours a week
- Ensure the safety of all patrons by observing all who use the pool and pool deck.
- Sit in an elevated Lifeguard Chair when one or more patrons are present.
- Enforce and follow all pool rules.
- Make appropriate saves and assists if necessary.
- Check pool chemistry and log chemistry data.
- Report all incidents to the Director of Aquatics.
- Unlock locker rooms before shift and lock doors after the session is complete.
- Scan the deck and pick up all loose trash.
- Track/log the number of patrons per session.
- Some light maintenance including, moving lane lines, brushing the pool, and sluicing pool deck
- Perform standard pool opening and closing procedures
- Must wear safe attire while on duty, i.e. swimsuit, athletic shorts, and a t-shirt- no shoes, jeans, or dress clothes.
- Attend in-service training once per semester.
- Current CPR, First Aid, and AED, and Lifeguard certifications required
- Confidentiality of all records is required
- Lifeguard certification
- CPR/First Aid /AED
- Previous Lifeguard experience
Work Environment: Indoors, pool
Physical Demands: Must be able to sit, bend, lift (25 lbs) and stand; be able to operate a computer and a phone; must be able to pull a swimmer to safety.
Deadline for Submission: Immediate until filled.
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.