Instructs water aerobics classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement for all. Works in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Enhances the quality and growth of the program and retention of the participants of the program. Stay up to date on teaching techniques and safety issues to implement in classes.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Be prepared and arrive for class 10-15 minutes prior.
- Design and prepare class routines that meet all the necessary components and safe guidelines in accordance with current accepted practices of exercise physiology.
- Inform and educate participants in activities.
- Utilize only safe and correct moves in teaching.
- Maintain accurate records for class participation.
- Responsible to begin and end classes on time.
- Build member relations.
- Maintain equipment and keep supplies in order.
- Awareness of branch emergency procedures.
- Continually promote in a positive manner the YMCA and it's programs.
- Meet satisfactory guidelines on all evaluations.
- Be able to articulate the YMCA mission statement and character values.
- May work at any location and adjust your schedule as to the needs of the association.
- Reports back to the aquatics coordinator for event planning.
- Actively participates in membership growth.
- Adheres to association and position training requirements.
- Participates in annual fundraising.
- Works various hours and locations to meet association needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Aquatics Coordinator.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Emotional Maturity
- Fitness/water aerobics experience.
- National Certification in water fitness/aerobics required and maintained.
- General Group Fitness Instructor Certification required and maintained.
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyle Principles (e-learning) within 60 days of hire.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to relate with staff and members.
- Ability to teach a variety of classes.
- Must have a current CPR/AED & First Aid Certification within 60 days of hire.
- Must be in good physical condition and have the ability to work with the public in a positive manner.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Physically perform all skills required as the instructor.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Must be educated in (water aerobics curriculum), ability to deliver class material.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.