Immediate openings for Mandarin Dual Language programs to work at multiple elementary school sites within a geographic region. Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and ability to travel between schools are requirements.
This is a part-time position that receives benefits! Work assignments may vary between between 15 - 40 hours per week depending on need.
The Part-Time Mandarin Teacher / Dual Language Instructional Assistant (DLIA) provides instructional support for students and teachers in the Participate Learning Dual Language Mandarin immersion classrooms. This position leads groups across different subject areas with instruction delivered in Mandarin. The lead dual language teacher will have primary responsibility for the overall instruction of the class. However, in the absence of a lead teacher, this position is expected to take over the lead instructional role in the classroom.
This position reports into the Education Programs department and works closely with the Program Manager assigned to the school site. They may serve in one or more Participate dual language program schools within the same geographic area based on need for coverage.
- A native (or near native) target language speaker (Mandarin)
- Intermediate to high English proficiency
- Bachelor's Degree preferred (preference for degree in Education but not required)
- At least one year of Elementary teaching experience
- Must complete designated school district HR process for school volunteer or similar as confirmed by Participate upon offer
- Must meet all Participate employment verification and hiring requirements
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Must participate in and successfully complete Participate DLIA program trainings & evaluations
- The DLIA will deliver instruction to students, using various teaching methods to improve student skills and abilities with the target language and in the core curriculum student objectives.
- The DLIA will lead small groups during literacy rotations and with the guidance of the lead teachers, deliver appropriate instructional methods and techniques for each group activity assigned.
In collaboration with lead teacher, DLIA will share responsibility for:
- Creating lesson plans and instructing students individually and in groups.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities, including photocopying, laminating, etc.
- Administer assessments as required
- Facilitate other classroom responsibilities in line with school policy
- Share responsibility for performing administrative responsibilities closely related to teaching and customarily performed by teachers.
- In the absence of the lead teacher the DLIA will be responsible for:
- Lead instruction in the target language following the established DL instructional model in place
- Complete all instructional tasks for each day the lead teacher is absent
- Maintain clear notes on student performance in the absence of the lead teacher
- Follow the Participate DL pacing guide for literacy and the grade level guidelines for other content area instruction
- Promote cross-cultural activities and the dual language immersion program in the school and greater community
- Serve as a native Mandarin-speaking role model for students. Help students to maximize their learning by only utilizing the target language consistently in the classroom.
- Serve as a cultural resource for students, teachers, the school and community.
- Collaborate with other dual language team members.
- Support school-wide policies and procedures as well as multiple DL classrooms.
* The DLIA is not responsible for non-instructional duties in the school. In the absence of the lead teacher, the instructional assistant will focus on the delivery of instruction in the target language to support students in their fulfillment of the grade level curriculum.
* The lead teacher will be the teacher of record and DLIA will not be fully responsible, but will support the lead teacher in maintaining student records.
- Due to the nature of our work with teachers and schools, COVID-19 vaccine is a requirement for new hires, however the company will consider accommodations for disability and religious reasons.