Media Engagement (60%): Build relationships with relevant journalists and media contacts. Pitch RFF research and editorial products to reporters and editorial boards. Field media inquiries and requests by connecting journalists with appropriate RFF experts. Write and send press releases when new RFF research is published. Manage RFF’s media contact database.
Impact Planning (20%): Devise communications/impact plans in collaboration with communications and research colleagues, ensuring that RFF research projects reach priority media and stakeholder targets and are presented in a professional, accessible, and engaging way to key audiences.
Data Tracking and Analytics (15%): Use online tools to track RFF’s products and activities and the resulting impact and media coverage. Present analytics data regularly, highlighting lessons learned from the data and best practices. Help to set measurable impact goals for each project launch and use tracked impact data to conduct post-project assessments.
Media Training (5%): Prepare RFF researchers for press engagement, including interviews and networking opportunities. Lead or arrange regular media training workshops.
Special Education/Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-5 years of professional experience in journalism, media relations, communications, or a field related to RFF’s research such as environmental/energy/resource economics.
- Strong writing and analytical skills, including the ability to identify timely/newsworthy content, explain complicated ideas in simple terms, and create compelling messaging.
- Demonstrated success in pitching story ideas to the media.
- A desire to work as part of a collaborative team focused on improving environmental, energy, and natural resource decision-making.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Adaptable, and a natural relationship builder.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Candidates with an interest or background in the fields of environmental, energy, and natural resource policy, and who share RFF’s mission and organizational values, will be particularly well suited to the role.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and current resume via www.rff.org/about/careers. We will only contact references for candidates who are finalists.
Due to the anticipated volume of interest, we are unable to respond to telephone or email inquiries regarding this position. RFF is an equal opportunity employer. People are RFF’s greatest asset, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. We value the unique contributions of each member of our community and foster an environment that empowers everyone at RFF to thrive. Applicants of all kinds, who represent diversity that includes but is not limited to age, race, ethnicity, national origin, color, socioeconomic status, gender, physical ability, cognitive diversity, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, and personal background, are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor a work-related visa for this position.
Important Notices: This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that a team member in this position may be asked to perform. Duties and responsibilities can be changed, expanded, reduced or delegated by management to meet the business needs of the property.