AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates, and experts. As the Manager, Communications , you will be part of a dynamic association that publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
What the Manager, Communications does:
- Manages the communications and marketing efforts for several key AGU programs, setting strategic goals and expectations and producing content.
- Assesses communications and marketing needs of existing and in-development AGU programs, including identifying opportunities for engagement and areas in need of additional support or resources, and creating solutions to address those opportunities/needs.
- Works in partnership with AGU program teams to help them identify target audiences and how best to promote, recruit, and continue long-term engagement with those audiences.
- Recommends and implements thoughtful long- and short-term communication plans that assess the appropriate resources needed for audience acquisition and engagement, along with a timeline for such work for programs to incorporate into grant proposals.
- Provides analysis and recommendations to the SCM team in order to develop umbrella communication and marketing plans that connect audience goals across programs and allows AGU to pursue deeper engagement at an organizational level.
- Directs 1-2 communications and marketing specialists assigned to various AGU programs. Provides coaching to specialists; assigns and supervises their work; edits and provides high-level quality control of SCM content.
- Provides regular status updates to the SCM team on communication and marketing activities and their results.
- Along with other members of the SCM team, develops engaging, informative and consistent content related to AGU’s programs and strategic goals for both internal and external audiences. This includes, but is not limited to press releases, op-eds, talking points, facts sheets, web-based and e-newsletter stories, blog posts, social media posts, and multimedia.
- Develops or supervises the development of speeches, presentations and other supporting communication materials for AGU executive and volunteer leadership.
- Supports the SCM team with development of engaging, informative and consistent content related to AGU’s programs and events for social media channels (e.g., multimedia such as Instagram stories, WeChat/TikTok, YouTube)
- Strategically contributes to the discussion of coverage and campaigns within the Editorial Center, which develops, coordinates, and collaboratively plans content across AGU digital platforms and communications channels.
- Using analytics and other tools, develops innovative ways for AGU to engage its members, the Earth and space science community and the public on social media and other channels.
- Assists in the monitoring of the AGU news inbox, fielding questions from reporters as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.