Title: Accounting Processes Manager
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Overview of Position: This positions primary responsibility is the coordination of all processes that must be completed each month to close the agencys books so that financial statements can be reliably prepared by the CFO. There are numerous components of the monthly and annual close cycles, that are completed by various accounting staff as well as program staff. All of these components must be coordinated and managed to meet reporting deadlines. There is a great deal of organization and attention to detail required to meet the needs of this accounting manager position. The position involves hands on accounting responsibilities as necessary in a small accounting shop. The agency is experiencing rapid growth and this position is key to assisting the CFO in reviewing, developing or improving existing procedures. There is potential for growth in this position as the department expands.
Job Duties: Coordinate directly with the CFO to ensure the timely and reliable completion of virtually all components required to manage the agencys accounting general ledger. The position will supervise accounts payable and revenue staff. The position is responsible for verifying the accuracy of data processed, through approval processes and detailed review of general ledger data. The position is responsible for documenting and implementing corrections as necessary through close coordination with all accounting staff, including the CFO. This is a key support position to the CFO in the review and development of process improvements and the implementation of changes within the department. Projects will be periodically assigned by the CFO, that require excellent analysis and communication skills. This is a hands-on accounting position in some responsibilities.
- Meet with the CFO weekly for department overview, deadline management and project assignments as necessary.
- Manage the completion of monthly and annual accounting close cycles in conjunction with the CFO, to meet prescribed deadlines and ensure high accuracy standards.
- Meet with accounting staff periodically, to enforce consistent department procedures and expectations.
- Steward clear ethical standards across the organization and promote a high standard of quality within the department. Focus on impeccable department productivity while promoting a strong team atmosphere among all accounting staff, particularly those reporting to this position.
- Supervise, review, approve and manage key components of accounts payable process through interaction with accounts payable staff.
- Supervise, review, approve and manage key components of revenue process through interaction with revenue staff.
- Communicate with program managers and directors as needed, regarding accounting activities.
- Assist in the development of ongoing consistent reporting procedures to executive and program staff as well as funders, grantors and any parties that rely on accounting and finance data.
- Devise ongoing methods of communication within the department as well as across the organization, that provides constructive feedback related to accounting procedures in order to constantly review and maximize efficiency of accounting activities, through recommended improvements as coordinated with the CFO.
- Act as a key participant in the agencys internal control structure, including the reconciliation of all of the agencys bank accounts monthly. Review and recommend procedures that will maintain and improve control activities that will quickly detect and/or minimize any instances of fraud within the department or across the organization.
- Verify the completion of the monthly cycle to the CFO and assist as needed in the preparation of statements.
- Assist the CFO in the review of all current accounting processes and procedures and the establishment of improvements as identified.
- Other tasks assigned by the CFO as part of the overall stability, reliability and growth of the department.
- College degree in accounting, finance or related.
- Successful supervisory experience of a small staff.
- Experience working in automated general ledger accounting systems with proven skills in learning new accounting systems.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred but not required.
- Proven skills in the organization of multiple processes and establishment of priorities, is a requirement.
- Extensive knowledge of Excel applications and functions is mandatory.
- Solid knowledge of other Microsoft Office applications is helpful.
- Must be highly detail-oriented with proven analytical skills.
- Strong deadline management skills.
- Proven success in coordinating with multiple staff across the organization, outside of the accounting department.
- Must be able to work well with a diverse group of people.
- Willingness to accept and complete special assignments while maintaining deadline priorities within the department.
- Exemplary communication skills with all levels, is a must.