Briya is committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within our organization and the communities we serve. We embrace diversity of experiences, ideas, and individuals, and seek to bring a diverse group of candidates to the table.
Important Note: Briya is mandating the COVID-19 vaccine + booster for all staff.
The Finance Director is responsible for the financial management and legal and administrative structures of Briya Public Charter School – a leading two-generation education program serving parents and their young children. Briya is a Tier One Public Charter School, consistently achieving the highest educational outcomes through its innovative, family-centric programming.
Briya’s early childhood program serves children from six weeks through pre-kindergarten. While children attend the early childhood program, their parents attend classes comprised of three highly integrated areas of study: English, parenting, and digital literacy. Briya also offers workforce development programs for advanced students who wish to pursue career-ready certifications.
Briya has a strategic partnership with Mary’s Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center, further strengthening student families with comprehensive medical, dental, and social services.
The Finance Director works closely with the Executive Director and Briya Public Charter School’s Board of Directors to oversee the school’s financial health. The Director oversees financial management, human resources management, grants management, property inventory legal management and provides organizational administrative support. The Director maintains a strong working relationship with Mary’s Center to establish and sustain shared infrastructure, including collaboration in Human Resources, grants administration, and property contracts. The Finance Director also serves as a member of the school’s senior leadership team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop financial management policies and internal controls in conjunction with the Executive Director, Briya Board of Directors and Mary’s Center.
- Responsible for the school's key financial decisions such as budget, audit, investment, facility acquisition, debt finance and compliance.
- Develops short and long term financial strategies and goals for the school.
- Manage the annual budget development for Briya including mid-year budget review through partner budget development with Mary’s Center, and the annual budget of Briya's LLC subsidiary.
- Manage third-party accounting consultant, to oversee all accounting deliverables, including ongoing tracking of income, expenses, and receivables and payables as well as regular reporting via monthly financial statements, including budget-to-actual variance reporting.
- Seek and manage application/acquisition of federal and other discounts to drive cost-effective management of the school (including but not limited to federal discounts on technology (e-rate)).
- Coordinate Briya procurement policy to assure compliance with PCSB and other legal requirements. Manage the negotiation and signing of contracts with the chartering authorities, funders, and partners.
- Select vendors as appropriate for payroll, auditing, custodial, equipment, building repair, and IT services; select vendors for supplies.
- Oversee and provide support for the independent audit of the charter school and preparation of its IRS form 990.
- Oversee the National School Lunch Programs, including annual applications, filing claims, maintaining compliance, and training employees as needed to remain incompliance.
Human Resources Coordination
- Develop Briya’s salary schedules and an annual benefits package which aligns with Mary’s Center’s human resources protocol and Briya’s recruitment cycle.
- Oversee the payroll process for Briya to ensure compliance our internal account and payroll policies. Oversee the payroll process including payroll and tax reporting. Coordinate with accounting consultant firm to provide all employees’ annual payroll reports and HR compliance for Briya’s employees.
- Procure and maintain appropriate insurance coverages, including a Director’s & Officers’ policy, general business and education insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance for Briya and its LLC.
- Support the development of personnel policies and practices as needed to meet the requirements.
Grant Management and Support
- Manage administration of all independent grants for the school in conjunction with the accounting consultants including budget planning, integration with annual budget, managing expenses with program managers, and reporting to government agencies and private foundations.
- Create all grant budgets with program managers to integrate grants into overall budget and strategic plan.
- Coordinate with Mary’s Center’s finance department to manage joint grants which support the collaborative education efforts of Briya and Mary’s Center.
- Monitor timesheets to assure accurate allocation to grant projects.
- Monitor grant budget expenditures for grants and update Briya’s Executive Director on changes necessary to control costs and meet project objectives.
- Review Education Department grant reports and contract invoices from the Finance Department for accuracy.
- Assist in writing grants through providing financial information and reports to continue to grow Briya’s programming.
Legal Management & Organizational Administrative Support
- As a member of Briya’s senior leadership team, assist in the strategic planning process ofthe school, including the school accreditation process.
- Presents financial reports and assessment at bi-monthly meetings of Briya’s Board of Directors. The Director will be comfortable with preparing and presenting presentations, handling financial Q&A, and being responsive to Board engagement on the school’s fiscal concerns and status.
- Provide senior staff administrative support to Briya’s Board of Directors, including the areas of meeting and retreat planning, committee engagement, and formal school communications to Board. Work closely with Briya’s communications team as they manage day-to-day meeting preparation, minutes, Board handbook updates, and email communications.
- Responsible for providing staff management to the finance committee of the Board of Directors.
- As Briya’s representative, manage compliance and reporting for the Mamie D Lee LLC partnership with Bridges Public Charter School. Coordinate with counterpart from Bridges Public Charter School and accounting consultant to keep LLC in compliance with covenants with lenders and government agencies regulations, including reporting to lenders and agencies, overseeing annual audit reports, and tax filings. Coordinate with Bridges to keep in compliance with New Market Tax Credit agreements and lending covenants and manage LLC finances.
- File application for state tax exemption using the SR-164.
A successful Finance Director will excel in the following ways:
- Financial Management – Models full-team accountability for the financial health of the school by working closely with each department to ensure their daily actions and behaviors drive fiscal success for Briya, i.e. support of student retention and recruitment efforts oversight of careful departmental budgeting, and management of cost-conscious expenditures to meet the needs of the school.
- Management – Strong manager of teams and vendors; able to delegate, manage performance, and communicate clearly. Must be highly organized and able to navigate a large school team and manage an intense workload with varying demands.
- Teamwork – Highly collaborative and can work well in multidisciplinary team setting with a variety of cultural and educational backgrounds and experiences. Contributes to building a positive team spirit, puts success of the team above own interests, and supports colleagues’ and students’ efforts to succeed.
- Interpersonal Skills –Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and builds and sustains positive productive relationships. Solves conflicts in cooperative manner; assumes accountability for own actions; and models empathetic, solution-oriented behavior in a fast-paced, team-intensive environment.
- Communication Skills – Has strong written and verbal communication skills and adjusts communication style and platforms to effectively communicate with different audiences: staff, student families, Board members, and external stakeholders.
- Cultural Sensitivity – Has a strong commitment to diversity, with respect and sensitivity to cultural and educational differences.
- Flexibility –Can adjust personal schedule to participate in weekend and/or evening school events as needed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Briya is seeks someone who embodies the following characteristics: (1) competence in the field of budget and finance; (2) strategic thinking and problem solver with strong analytical abilities; (3) self-driven, hands-on administrator; and (4) ability to collaborate.
- Results driven with strong business acumen, integrity, and judgement, and will possess exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to quickly gain the respect that will allow them to work effectively with the faculty and administrative team, School Leadership, and the Board of Directors.
- Interpret applicable policies, state statutes, and federal guidelines,
- Support payroll processes, cost accounting systems, etc. budgeting procedures and financial and business operations for schools and similar governmental agencies.
- Experience with non-profit or public school financial accounting and grants management required, including working knowledge of OMB Uniform Guidance and EDGAR.