Skip to main content

Head of Tax Department

Job Details

ORBA - Chicago, IL
Full Time


The Head of the Tax Department is responsible for leadership, direction, guidance and control of the firm’s tax department activities to assure the short and long-term profitability and growth of the firm. Strong organizational and inter-personal skills are a must. Advanced technical skills in a variety of tax areas, along with well-developed and applied management and supervisory skills are required. This role will have the individual spend approximately 80% of their time managing and supervising the department and the other 20% performing tax review. Pro-active and passion for the role and desire to make a meaningful contribution to a growing tax department is preferred.


  • Resource for tax specialists and A&A staff on specific tax issues and/or questions.
  • Expert knowledge and experience with flow-through entity return review and technical issues.
  • Delegates governmental tax examinations. Supervises tax staff and provides on-the-job training.
  • Possesses a complete knowledge of the firm’s philosophy and its opinions on tax matters.
  • Participates in firm’s practice development efforts through involvement with referral sources, community and industry activities.
  • Utilization of skills developed over time to continue being an authoritative resource in the community, locally and nationally.
  • Delegation and management of tax research projects to achieve an accurate and efficient product.
  • Involved with hiring experienced staff members as they are needed.
  • Meet with the Managing Director and Tax Directors on a regular basis with status and updates within the department.
  • Oversight, understanding and evaluation of technology needs of the tax department.
  • Maintenance of the firm’s tax library, including all research tools and software.
  • Overview of research and technical information developed within the department.
  • Must communicate with firm directors and staff in a timely manner, via e-mail or in-person
  • Communication of tax information among our clients and professionals within the firm.
  • Oversight of all administrative individuals and process involved with the tax department.
  • Oversee the training and advancement of all individuals within the department consistent with the firm’s growth plans along with appropriate training for non-tax department professional staff that prepare tax returns.
  • Lead and organize regular tax department meetings.
  • Evaluate overall quality assurance within the department of all tax returns generated by the firm, including processes to assure the quality of our product.
  • Assess staffing and skill levels needed to match the firm’s current and future client needs.
  • Manage the department’s timely completion of tax work.
  • Tax department organization for utilization and assignment of work to the appropriate staff.
  • Strong organizational skills.



  • At least 12 years experience in public accounting and /or family business practice, demonstrating a proven progression in tax return complexity, scope and research.
  • Minimum of 5 years experience supervising, directing, and managing work of tax professionals, multiple tax department functions or as a department leader.
  • Bachelor’s degree in accounting required and Master’s degree in Taxation required or similar advanced degree.
  • Current and valid CPA required.


  • Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
  • Strong organizational skills.
  • Proactive instead of reactive.
  • Passionate about taxes.
  • Proficiency with Microsoft Office–in particular Excel and Word, GoSystem, planning software and online research software.
  • Strong team-building experience and success (lead by example).
  • Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and analyze problems logically and comprehensively, distinguishing between relevant and irrelevant information.
  • Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
  • Ability to handle sensitive/confidential matters in a tactful and discreet manner.
  • Ability to interface with a variety of management levels.
  • Strong negotiation and persuasion skills.


  • Flexible hours and a hybrid work model
  • Dress for your day attire (jeans in the office and appropriate attire at clients)
  • Tuition reimbursement on degrees of Masters in Accounting and Masters in Taxation
  • Reimbursement for the CPA exam
  • Discounted gym membership
  • Payment of CPE and professional membership costs
  • Mentoring and Leadership Development Programs
  • Fun firm sponsored social events
  • Generous paid time off and holiday time
  • 15% referral fee for bringing in new clients
  • Competitive compensation package and a broad range of insurance programs