The Human Resource/Payroll & Benefit Specialist administers the full suite of human resources and payroll services to the entire regional organization, including employees and contingent workers. They engage with staff at every phase of the employment cycle while also managing back-end processes like bi-weekly payroll, invoice reconciliation, audit requests, and data entry/reporting for HR systems. The Specialist manages vendor relationships and negotiates rates with health insurance companies, insurance brokers, staffing agencies, and other suppliers.
- Process all payroll transactions and oversee the timely and compliant submissions of biweekly payroll for all employees; file all payroll-related taxes, prepare and reconcile monthly payroll journal entries and year-end accrual journal entries
- Oversee open enrollment process for all benefits, including partnering and negotiating rates with vendors and insurance brokers to conduct training sessions and ensure an efficient and effective process
- Advise employees on personal, health, insurance, leave, or other issues to identify options and recommend best solution for resolution
- Manage all data entry and reporting in Human Resources Information System, and benefit systems.
- Oversee and support multiple audits, salary surveys, and management requests by running reports, ensuring accurate data entry, and interacting with auditors and other requestors
- Maintain all employment files, including personnel files, time off records, and job descriptions
- Coordinate and oversee annual flu shot clinic
- Manage individual benefits enrollment and termination processes, including COBRA
- Counsel staff and provide assistance with benefit choices for new hires, qualifying life events, and retirees
- Prepare and reconcile invoices and payments for health, retirement, and other benefits by partnering with Finance department
- Oversee new hire process, including writing offer letters, extending verbal offers, conducting background checks, partnering with IT for systems access, etc.
- Conduct in-person orientation for all employees, temporary workers, and independent contractors by welcoming and informing all new hires of relevant information
- Conduct in-person exit interviews and manage off-boarding process, including the return of physical equipment and partnering with IT for the termination of system/building access
- Manage the distribution and maintenance of parking permits, and Port Authority ConnectCards
- Oversee the posting and advertisement of open positions on multiple platforms
- Advise and train hiring managers on proper recruitment practices and applicant tracking system usage
- Partner with managers and staffing agencies on hiring temporary workers
- Negotiate contracts with temporary agencies and serve as single point of contact on temporary employment
- Complete employment verifications, unemployment claims, annual driving record checks, multiple external salary surveys, etc.
- Provide guidance to managers on the performance management process
- Advise managers and employees on performance and policy compliance issues, maintaining confidentiality and liaising with Director of Human Resources when necessary
- Support community impact grants by providing employees pay statements or other required personnel/organization information for grant
- Responsible for ensuring the organizations compliance with all relevant labor laws
- Maintain on-going communication with EAP and outplacement services
- Provide HR information to Director of HR, President & CEO, HR Committee, etc. as requested
- Provide employee years of service information for Employee Service Awards
People Management Responsibilities
- May supervise temporary worker(s) when necessary
- Provide salary, benefit, and other data to Finance to ensure operational expenses are in line and future budgets can be developed