Summary/Objective: The Registered Nurse has the primary responsibility of assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care of the patients for whom she/he assumes responsibility under the direction of the Nurse Manager and Charge Nurse. Demonstrates commitment to Caribou Medical Center mission statement, vision statement and values. This Applicant will work directly with the SwingBed Coordinator to expand SwingBed program.
Applies the clinical discipline of professional nursing through the nursing process.
- Assures quality of care by adhering to therapeutic standards; measuring health outcomes against patient care goals and standards; making or recommending necessary adjustments; following hospital and care center's philosophies and standards of care set by state board of nursing, state nurse practice act, and other governing agency regulations.
- Resolves patient/resident problems and needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
- The nurse interacts effectively with physicians as an advocate of patient care.
- The nurse sets priorities for nursing care based on the care plan and delivers care in a timely manner.
- The nurse collaborates with the clinical nursing staff and other clinical disciplines to evaluate the patient's/resident’s response to the care plan and nursing intervention.
- Effectively demonstrates the ability to delegate appropriately as guided by policy and Idaho Board of Nursing.
- Demonstrates the ability to use critical thinking skills within the nursing profession.
- An integral function of the staff nurse is patient teaching to promote positive health outcomes.
- Acts as a preceptor to all staff and students and is responsible for orientation of assigned staff.
- Participates in nursing and hospital committees as appropriate.
- Communicates patient’s plan of care to all multidisciplinary team members and to the patient, family and significant others.
- Provides education as indicated after assessing the learning needs of the patient and family.
The professional nurse demonstrates ability to perform technical tasks and procedures safely and accurately.
- Maintains position specific skills and competencies as required on annual basis.
- Maintains CEU’s appropriate to discipline in order to maintain clinical competency.
- Attends at least 70% of department staff meetings.
- Demonstrates strong customer service skills, and professional behavior when dealing with all individuals and groups, both internally and externally.
- Utilizes manual and automated information systems to improve patient safety
- Demonstrates cost effectiveness by using supplies judiciously, anticipating needs for special supplies and equipment, and making recommendations for change.
Completes appropriate documentation.
- Documents patient charges for area worked.
- Receives and initiates physician's orders correctly.
- Obtains patients consents and refusals.
- Completes and updates patient medication history on admission and as needed.
- Completes incident reports and medication error vigilance by following through with reporting process.
- Documentation and care plans will be thorough, and completed within an appropriate time frame in relation to care given
Maintains effective communications.
- Promotes positive work climate.
- Communicates with providers and other care team members.
- Strives to problem solve conflicts by using proper communication channels and chain of command.
- Demonstrates respect and communication skills when interacting with all individuals and groups, both internally and externally
Provides for optimal patient/resident safety.
- Responds to patient care needs on a timely fashion, including, but not limited to call bell response, verbal requests, and bed exit alarms.
- Maintains adherence to patient rights.
- Administers prescribed treatments, medications, therapies within the scope of practice.
- Assesses the patient’s physical and psychosocial condition on an ongoing basis throughout the continuum of care.
- Develops a plan of patient care reflecting significant nursing diagnoses and interventions to achieve desired patient outcomes, involving the patient/family and healthcare team in this process.
- Plans, coordinates and implements patient’s plan of care in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
- Evaluates patient outcomes, effectiveness of plans of care, and readiness for discharge. Revises as needed, and makes referrals when indicated.
- Act as a liaison in coordinating patient care activities with nurses, physicians and allied health professionals.
- Complies with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infectious body fluids, chemical disinfectants, radiation, antineoplastic/cylotoxic agents and other hazardous substances.
Respects patient's rights to privacy and dignity.
- Observes all aspects of HIPPA in protecting patient/resident information and reports concerns for breeches.
- Champions projects related to patient environmental concerns and needs.
- Shows awareness of current patient satisfaction rating for the organization and is engaged in improvement projects.
Other duties as assigned. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.