The Development Officer for Membership is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Director of Membership. The position is responsible for the management of the Museums General Membership program, including the Young Friends of the Norton and Student Membership levels, and the Emerging Collectors Council alongside the Director of Membership. With Guidance from the Director of Membership, this includes setting and achieving annual revenue goals, organizing a suite of events and benefits, creating a strong foundation for customer service, and strategizing methods of acquiring and retaining members through promotional initiatives, direct mail efforts, and marketing campaigns, In addition, the position will work alongside the Director of Membership to create overall strategy and synergy for the growth of all levels of Membership at the Museum and to find opportunities for the cultivation of new and stewardship of current and returning members.
The Development Officer for Membership oversees the Development Assistant for Membership to manage the processes for gift entry, fulfillment, and renewals for all Membership transactions, as well as to ensure the hygiene of the Museums database.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the Director of Membership to evaluate, develop, and broaden the Membership program, including setting and achieving budgeted goals, with the greatest focus on General Membership levels, Young Friends of the Norton, and Student Members.
- Alongside the Director of Membership:
- Create a moves management system to identify opportunities to upgrade a members engagement and level of giving through strategic rapport-building.
- Serve as a forward-facing member of Membership and the Development team overall to cultivate and steward Members.
- Create consistency with benefits across all levels of membership.
- Work closely with Museums Curatorial Team in developing the Emerging Collectors Council season of events and coordinating acquisition efforts.
- Responsible for the growth and cultivation/stewardship of the Young Friends Membership group as a tool for broadening audiences and increasing outreach for the Museum.
- In partnership with Visitor Experience and the Development Assistant for Membership, create processes to support best practices for members with Visitors Experience staff and the Reservations Desk team, ensuring consistent customer service and timely responses to member issues/inquiries via phone and email. Research additional opportunities to improve the member experience.
- Work with the Visitor Experience department, The Store, and The Restaurant to ensure proper training on the Museums membership program, policies and procedures, and strategies to increase on-site sales. In partnership with the Director of Museum Services, create department and individual member sales goals, and reward system for Visitors Experience staff.
- In coordination with the Director of Membership and the Special Events team, plan, coordinate, and implement engaging member activities such as events, previews, behind-the-scenes conversations, and other opportunities with the goal of designing a lively and attractive membership program.
- Work with Development Assistant for Membership to create a system to regularly audit member data to maintain database hygiene and produce membership mailing lists by utilizing database query functions. Utilize knowledge of Altru queries, membership reports, and other tools to create budget estimates for Membership revenue, specifically within General Membership and Young Friends.
- Oversee Development Assistant for Membership to support all aspects of member stewardship, including the processing of memberships in the Museums database, the acknowledgment/fulfillment process, monthly renewals, member/donor recognition, and database upkeep.
- Work with the Director of Membership and the Director of Marketing and Advertising to create and execute a strategic marketing plan for Membership. Coordinate with the Director of Membership, the Marketing/Communications team, and external consultants to build partnerships and create marketing campaigns including renewal, upgrade, and new member campaigns - to grow General Membership.
- Other reasonable duties as requested.