Under the direction of the Call Center Manager, the Information &Referral Specialist (I&R Specialist) is responsible for delivering consistent and professional service to customers with health, human, and social service needs via telephone, in person, e-mail, or other forms of communication. The I&R Specialist will assess and refer customers to appropriate services. Customer needs range from requests for simple information to complex cases with multiple needs requiring research, advocacy, and crisis intervention. The I&R Specialist will also perform data entry operations. This is a full-time, non-exempt hourly position eligible for Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, Sick, Vacation, and Holiday pay. This position is employed by Goodwill Industries of Sacramento Valley and Northern Nevada, Inc., through Community Link Capital Region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Complete phone-based assessments to provide high-quality information, referral, advocacy, and systems navigation for social and health services programs.
- Answer incoming calls on an assigned schedule, assess caller’s needs, and make accurate referrals to appropriate community resources.
- Develop working knowledge of health and human services network, with a focus on rent, housing, legal, financial, and seasonal tax programs in order to help clients effectively access services.
- Obtain and maintain Certified Information & Referral (CIRS) certification when eligible.•Assess and screen for benefits eligibility, offering application assistance as appropriate.
- Follow up with clients to determine if referrals resulted in needs being met.
- Input data collected by clients to provide community resource planning and needs assessments.
- Assess and respond to client needs using active listening skills, conversational intent, and a high level of empathy.
- Support service delivery in instances of both local, and regional disaster/emergency services activation.
- Ensure compliance with all Community Link and Goodwill Industries of Sacramento Valley and Northern Nevada policies, CARF standards, and safety and security regulations.
- Additional duties and/or responsibilities may be assigned by Call Center Management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Basic Qualifications of the Role:
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be able to perform essential functions of this job description fluently in English and a secondary language.
Effective verbal & written communication skills.
Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with diverse and multi-cultural individuals, being non-judgmental and respectful of the confidential nature of the job.
Reading Comprehension and Analytical skills.
Must be familiar with and comfortable operating multiple technology platforms, including but not limited to, MS Office, Google Docs, and other web-based applications, in addition to being comfortable utilizing multiple computer screens and programming simultaneously.
Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
Must have access to reliable transportation that does not interfere with the duties of this position.
Ability to be responsive and available for shifts for as much as 12 hours in length during declared emergencies to perform duties as directed by the Emergency Manager. This position does require varied work hours including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Must not present a direct threat to the safety and health of self, others, or property.
Must not have a record or disclosure of criminal conviction that indicates an ongoing tendency toward theft, violence, dishonesty, deceit, drug manufacture or sale, moral turpitude, or predatory behavior.
Must provide proof of identification and eligibility to work in the United States of America.
Must pass a drug screening and maintain compliance with the organization’s drug and alcohol policy.
Must pass a background screening and maintain compliance with the organization’s associated policies.
Must be able to perform essential functions of this job description with or without reasonable accommodation.
Must immediately inform Goodwill of any arrests and/or convictions that occur while employed at Goodwill.
Preferred Qualifications of the Role:
Experience in Information and Referral/Assistance or equivalent experience; or working experience with organizations that serve children & families, aging & independence services, or high vulnerability populations.