Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company is an “A” rated property & casualty insurance company and has been recognized as one of the top 50 in the nation by The Ward Group. Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company is seeking an experienced Multi-line Adjuster, with an emphasis in Property claim handling. Applicants should have at least 5 or more years of experience handling Property claims.
This is a remote position and requires high speed cable/DSL internet and a home office space. Midwest Family has maintained a remote work environment since 2006 with no intentions of bringing employees back into a physical office.
The adjuster’s role is to investigate and determine coverage on losses and to pay covered claims promptly and fairly. Tasks include taking recorded statements, researching policy language and applicable legal statutes, identifying and establishing appropriate reserves, and settling covered claims promptly and fairly. The adjuster must be an effective communicator and is expected to provide superior customer service in interactions with agents, policyholders, and other parties involved in the claim handling process.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- In-depth understanding of Personal and Commercial insurance policy coverages and applications
- Investigate claims, including taking recorded statements, and determine coverage, limitations or exclusions that could affect claim resolution.
- Strong customer service and conflict resolution capabilities
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate multiple party involvement to ensure smooth claim process
- Strong negotiation skills to effect prompt and fair claim settlements
- Basic knowledge of building construction and ability to read and understand construction estimates
- Ability to read financial statements and understand basic accounting and business income principles
- Ability to think “outside the box” and demonstrate problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills are necessary to effectively operate in the paperless Claims Management System
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Must be able to operate Microsoft Office, specifically Word, and have at least a rudimentary knowledge of Excel.
- Must be able to prepare and present thoughtful and detailed reports.
- Must be able to organize a workload that involves heavy communication via written correspondence, email, and telephone.
- Ability to travel when needed to attend legal proceedings such as deposition, mediation, or trial
- Ability to navigate changing legal statutes and policy conditions across a number of States
- Continuing education to maintain state-specific licensing requirements
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to absorb and adapt to changing technologies in the work environment
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Responsible for complying with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
Preferred Formal Education/Experience:
- College degree
- AIC, CPCU or other Insurance-related designation
- Minimum of 5 years equivalent work experience in Claims Adjusting
Knowledge & Experience:
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- MS office experience, specifically Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a work-from-home environment.
- Multi-State adjusting experience is a plus
- Midwest Family is a remote work environment. Applicant must have sufficient space for an at-home office and high-speed internet is a requirement.
- Ability to work a 40-hour week, 8-hour days, 5 days per week, with potential overtime during periods of heavy claim volume
- This is a sedentary position, in which the adjuster is at a computer desk typing and working the telephone regularly for the bulk of the working day
- This position requires dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, telephone, and other devices.
- Applicant must be physically able to travel when necessary and participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings.
Midwest Family Mutual offers a competitive salary along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical (HDHP)
- Health Savings Account with employer contributions
- Wellness Incentives
- Vision (materials only plan)
- Flexible Spending – Medical, Limited FSA (Dental/Vision), and Dependent Care
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Employer Paid Life Insurance (2x annual salary) including dependent coverage
- Employee and Dependent Life Insurance Plan Options
- Accident, Hospital Indemnity and Critical Illness Plan Options
- LifeLock Identity Protection Plan Options
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays (eight per year)
- Paid time off for CE
- Eight hours of paid time off per year for volunteer work
- Employer matching for employee 501c donations (limited)
Retirement Benefits include:
- 401K and Roth 401K with company match
- Employer Paid Defined Benefit Pension Plan