Position Title: Humane Education Assistant
Department: Humane Education
Reports to: Humane Education Manager
The Humane Education Assistant assists with department activities related to teaching and promoting humane attitudes towards animals at the Oregon Humane Society.
This position will work approximately 15 hours per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
- Assist during informational tours at OHS, OHS youth clubs and at OHS Summer Camp.
- Foster and maintain positive relationships with the education community.
- Assist with organizing the administrative aspects of humane education events, youth clubs and summer camp.
- Assist with coordination of volunteers for Humane Education special events, programs and special projects.
- Attend and promote OHS Humane Education at community events and OHS sponsored events.
- Work with animals of varying size and temperament, handling individual animals in a caring and respectful manner.
- Adhere to all OHS safety, training, and handling and transportation protocols in order to ensure that the Shelter environment is safe for animals, the public, volunteers and other employees. Wears required clothing, identification and safety garments/equipment as defined by OHS policies and procedures.
- Other duties as required.
This position interacts and collaborates with all levels of the organization, including entry level staff members, peers in other departments, executive team members, representatives from external agencies, the general public, children, volunteers and donors. Contact and communication is carried out through face to face, telephone and electronic interactions. Communication must be clear, understandable, professional and respectful in all circumstances.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY
Work according to standard instructions and established procedures. Completed work is checked during work cycle.
- Work is performed concurrently in an office and animal shelter environment, with periodic required attendance at offsite venues. Occasional exposure to various outdoor conditions.
- Interaction with children, adolescents and adults from the general public is frequent and requires respectful, empathetic and professional behavior at all times.
- Frequent exposure to computer video terminal and computer peripherals.
- Evening and weekend work is required.
- Noise exposure varies and often includes uncontrolled barking and other animal vocalizations.