National Harbor is a community unlike any other. Rising from the banks of the Potomac River, just south of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Prince Georges County, MD. National Harbor is a 350-acre mixed use development with eight hotels (including the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center and MGM National Harbor), offices, residential, tree-lined streets with more than 160 shops including Tanger Outlet with 85 premium brands, more than 40 restaurants, iconic attractions such as the Capital Wheel and National Harbor Carousel, and much more. The community provides easy access to Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, Va. and features an array of waterfront activities, events, and spectacular sunsets.
The Ideal Candidate
National Harbor marketing team is seeking a summer intern to assist with the Special Events Department and other marketing needs. The intern will assist in creating positive experiences for our clients, via event and sponsorship activations. The intern will maintain structure and organization to client accounts to ensure long-term, trusting relationships with customers and will work with event clients and National Harbor sponsors on their programs that deliver value. You have a passion for personal interaction, events as a creative outlet and ensuring an experience at National Harbor that engages, motivates and inspires.
The intern will be responsible for responding to event requests and prospecting for sponsorships and events as well as reporting, invoicing, social media, and other tasks. The ideal candidate will be a team player that is able to communicate effectively, multitask, and have the ability to demonstrate a professional demeanor with all clients and colleagues.
In addition to strong communication skills, accounting skills, the ability to multitask and the ability to demonstrate a professional demeanor with clients and colleagues he or she should be savvy in problem solving techniques and time management and can acknowledge and appreciate any client concerns arising throughout the process. The intern should be competent at producing client-focused solutions to customer needs and have proven ability to juggle multiple account management projects at a time, while maintaining sharp attention to detail.
Given the nature of events, this role will require hours on weekends and nights during the season.
- Respond to event and sponsorship requests in a timely and professional manner
- Monitor and track event leads in CRM
- Assist with event and sponsorship sales with a focus on premium partners
- Create proposals, contracts, invoices and event setup sheets based on templates from Director of Events
- Assist with marketing, sales, logistical and operational planning of National Harbor events
- Ensure invoices and payments are processed in a timely manner
- Work with sponsorship sales partners to ensure seamless sponsor experiences
- Report results from sponsorships to clients
- Capture, upload, and organize event and sponsorship imagery in photoshelter
- Attend administrative meetings as related to event planning process
- Other duties as assigned by the department
- Prepared to work in an office environment with safety precautions in place and willing to follow all guidelines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment under tight deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with management
- Receive and give direction clearly
- Withstand periods of walking and/or standing
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must be punctual.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs
- Weekday & possibly evenings and weekends. 35 hours per week, plus additional hours when needed.