A newly created role, the Chief Engagement Officer will have an exciting and rewarding opportunity to help build Seattle Foundation’s next phase of transformative growth and impact. The new Chief Engagement Officer, a bold, confident, and energetic strategist, will positively impact the lives of thousands of Seattle-area individuals and families by serving as a catalyst to support systemic change and close racialized inequities. The Chief Engagement Officer builds, leads, and manages an organization-wide strategic integration of philanthropy, donor engagement, business development, marketing, and communications. This position also oversees engagements and relationships with SeaFdn’s hundreds of philanthropists, investors, and donors. The Chief Engagement Officer reports directly to SeaFdn’s President & CEO and serves as a member of the Leadership Team, working closely and collaboratively with the Chief Impact Officer, the Chief Strategy Officer and Chief of Staff, and the Chief Financial & Operating Officer. As a senior leader, the Chief Engagement Officer will also work closely with Seattle Foundation’s Board of Trustees and will serve as the staff liaison to the Marketing & Development Committee.
The Chief Engagement Officer leads a dedicated and highly talented staff of approximately 18 philanthropic and gift planning advisors, donor engagement, and marketing professionals. Direct reports will include a Managing Director, Philanthropy Strategies and Managing Director, Philanthropic Services. There are two additional direct reports to be hired—Managing Director, Marketing & Communications and Managing Director, Foundation Development (working title). The Chief Engagement Officer will also be expected to hire and build additional positions in preparation for any future fundraising campaigns. This proactive leader sets a strong institutional vision for SeaFdn’s role in philanthropy. Of prime importance will be the development of a cohesive, integrated system that advances best-in-class excellence in strategic philanthropy, marketing, communications, and business development and aligns around SeaFdn’s visionary strategic goals for advancing racial and economic equity.
An accomplished solicitor of seven- and eight-figure charitable gifts, the Chief Engagement Officer will be expected to plan, develop, and lead SeaFdn’s overall funding and marketing strategy. This strategy will focus on building, cultivating, and engaging new individual, corporate, institutional funder, and investor partnerships. In addition, this strategy will also include leading teams focused on brand management, external communications, marketing, community sponsorships, and signature events. The Chief Engagement Officer engages, cultivates, and solicits new business and major investments from high-net-worth individuals to increase philanthropic capital that will drive SeaFdn’s visionary efforts for transformational, sustained, systemic impact. To be successful, the Chief Engagement Officer, a results-focused and resilient leader, will need to focus on attracting the next generation of philanthropists, major donors and prospects, and tech-based investors. Furthermore, this leader will help transform existing philanthropic relationships into collaborative, long-term investment partnerships that will drive greater equity and opportunity across the region.
Within the first 12 to 24 months, the Chief Engagement Officer will achieve the following major objectives:
- Lead a targeted, integrated strategy that enhances SeaFdn’s approach to engaging our philanthropists; grow charitable and administrative fee revenue; develop and implement new revenue vehicles; and build a pipeline for unrestricted major and principal gifts from new high-net-worth donors and prospects.
- Ensure a cohesive compelling voice and narrative for SeaFdn; elevate the organization’s brand as one of the nation’s top community foundations and philanthropic partners; and use data and user experience to guide decision-making around future marketing engagements and audiences.
- Build strong, mutually beneficial relationships among SeaFdn’s Leadership Team, staff, trustees, community partners, and external stakeholders so as to be recognized as a trusted peer and thought partner who inspires people with their forward-thinking, positive, and visionary leadership.
- Lead a successful change management process to build integrated and cohesive teams in philanthropy, gift planning, marketing, communications, and business development that operate from an environment built on clear goals and objectives, data-driven decision-making, and performance metrics grounded in SeaFdn’s commitment to centering equity.
The Chief Engagement Officer will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, and implement a comprehensive philanthropy, engagement, and marketing plan that prioritizes SeaFdn’s strategic fundraising goals; lead strategies to acquire new strategic partners and investors; and broaden the engagement of community and high-capacity investors and donors significantly.
- Work in close partnership with the President & CEO and Leadership Team in setting bold but achievable goals, with clear strategies, tactics, and key performance indicators that ensure greater accountability.
- Maintain open and ongoing communication with SeaFdn’s Leadership Team, providing complete and accurate activity reports, revenue forecasts, data analytics, and situation analyses on a regular basis.
FOUNDATION PHILANTHROPY AND ENGAGEMENT
- Lead a targeted, innovative strategy that enhances SeaFdn’s approach to engaging our philanthropic partners that builds a growing pipeline for major, principal, and planned gifts (bequest, charitable trusts, gift annuities) from new and existing high-net-worth donors.
- • Develop and lead the necessary culture change, both internally and externally, to create a culture of philanthropy which encourages aligned investments and centers equity across the organization.
- • Supervise and manage campaign planning and studies with staff and consulting partners that explore SeaFdn’s potential for transformative philanthropic and endowment support.
- • Partner with SeaFdn’s IT group to define the key business and donor data and criteria for SeaFdn’s relationship management system for existing and potential philanthropists, business partners, donors, and prospects.
- Cultivate new business with estate planning attorneys, CPAs, financial planners, insurance agents, trust officers, private bankers, brokers, and other professional advisors.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Provide communications leadership that fosters innovation and excellence and that advances SeaFdn's mission and impact goals. Set strategic direction for all aspects of public relations and external communications, ensuring effective messaging platforms with timely and relevant positioning and messaging, including a crisis communication plan.
- Manage the SeaFdn’s broad media and communication engagement strategy and oversee the utilization of marketing technology to deliver relevant content to stakeholders through real-time data, storytelling, and video; oversee external relationships with consulting partners, vendors, and sponsors.
- Help generate measurable growth in raising the visibility of the organization for community impact.