WHYY serves the Philadelphia region with trusted journalism, eye-opening storytelling and intimate local arts programming. Our curiosity and commitment to this community is what drives our programming. It’s also what drives our hiring.
Below you’ll find an employment opportunity in the fast-paced setting of the Philadelphia region’s leading public media provider. The award-winning professional staff of WHYY sets the bar high in television, radio and online. Whether it’s preparing a program to air or a behind-the-scenes role in support, all positions are vital to continuing—and growing—our impact in our community.
WHYY offers a voice to those not heard, a platform to share everyone’s stories, a foundation to empower early and lifelong learners and a trusted space for unbiased news. Learn more about our Social Responsibility Program. It’s how we live.
About Billy Penn
Billy Penn at WHYY is a local news vertical that informs and engages with Philadelphians. We are looking for the next leader to steward Billy Penn at WHYY. This editorial leader must have digital journalism writing and editing experience, as well as reporting experience and a command for search engine optimization.
The Billy Penn staff covers everything from breaking news to urban life to food and fun. Billy Penn’s tone is different from a legacy news site with clear, direct language and an equal interest in serious and light-hearted topics. The publication’s voice is like a knowledgeable Philly friend and the audience skews younger than traditional news audiences.
Billy Penn’s distribution methods include a website with originally reported articles that may also be produced for radio. It has a strong social media presence on multiple platforms, a daily email newsletter, a community events program, and a membership and philanthropic giving program. It also offers multiple sponsorship opportunities via events and online products.
The next editor of Billy Penn will be a strong digital editor and have the ability to externally represent that brand at events. In addition Candidates who have business experience and the ability to shepherd all the business operations may be named editor and director. The titles – editor or editor/director – are determined based on the candidate’s experience and abilities.
Founded in 2014 as a startup, Billy Penn was acquired by WHYY in 2019.
SCOPE OF POSITION
This position is responsible for managing Billy Penn’s editorial, membership, revenue strategies, and community engagement. This involves the management of the Billy Penn staff, which presently includes a team of reporters, development and engagement staff, and deputy editor.
The editor will strategize coverage and assign stories from reporting staff and freelancers, and oversee the work of a deputy editor to edit, obtain artwork to run with, and produce the stories for publication. The editor will lead coverage of the daily newsletter and social media content. Billy Penn’s editor must have the skills to further establish the news brand’s Philadelphia-centric voice.
The editor also will coordinate coverage and use of resources with the WHYY newsroom, other WHYY editors, and the Billy Penn staff will contribute radio stories to the WHYY News FM operation. The position ensures that Billy Penn’s work reaches the broadest audience possible through the use of WHYY’s multiple digital platforms and through content partnerships and events.
We are seeking an enterprising digital journalist to become the next editor. Senior candidates may be considered for an editor/director position. The director level of this position includes having work experience at a higher level of management with responsibility for budgeting, grants, and raising financial support to insure the sustainability of the Billy Penn organization and brand, which includes collaboration with WHYY revenue departments (major gifts, membership, underwriting and foundation relations). The editor-only position will work in a stewardship capacity regarding the aforementioned necessary business operations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and edit Billy Penn’s reporting staff. Develop Billy Penn content across platforms such as written and radio reporting, social media, photography, video, newsletters etc.
- Direct the deputy editor, which includes the assigning and editing of stories and digital content.
- Create and manage Billy Penn’s social media and newsletters strategies.
- Skilled at developing a news brand’s voice on digital platforms that inspire and delight, including experience covering major metro areas like Philadelphia.
- Has a command for SEO and developing voice in all forms of content, including headline writing, editing and writing.
- Develop annual metrics with input from WHYY executives to measure Billy Penn’s success and implement successful strategies that aim to meet or exceed them. This includes embracing change as new technologies and algorithms disrupt the digital news marketplace.
- Parlay WHYY newsroom systems to coordinate and communicate with other WHYY editors and producers to present information to audiences in a timely and effective manner. Attend regular news and staff meetings and present at meetings or trainings as needed.
- Manage and/or work with Billy Penn Development and Engagement Manager to increase revenue via members, donors, and sponsors.
- Must be able to work on and with digital platforms, website content management systems, social media platforms and digital marketing.
- Work with WHYY’s revenue departments to assist with revenue generation strategies for Billy Penn.
- Foster and steward new and existing donor relationships and members.
- For the Editor/Director position, develop and manage annual budgets and budget updates that work toward the goal of a self-sustaining department.
- Collaborate with WHYY News editors and staff on a daily basis to ensure Billy Penn’s content streams are distinctive. Maintain open communication with editors across the newsroom as news and assignments develop. Work on department-wide initiatives, trainings and/or content as applicable or as assigned.
- Possess a testing mindset and be open to change and innovation. Lead the charge for new pathways to expand Billy Penn content as opportunities themselves.
- Lead, develop or assign the production of Billy Penn’s community events.
- Manage Billy Penn freelancers.
- Advanced knowledge of the Associated Press Style.
- Identify and recruit qualified journalists for full-time, freelance and intern positions.
- Participate in the WHYY News’ program of internal professional development, including attending and leading staff seminars.
- Develop staff professional development tracks.
- Take part in interdepartmental and organization-wide meetings.
- Available to work nights and weekends per the news cycle. Support fill-in editing of other staff as departmental needs arise such as to cover for vacations or major/breaking news demands.
- Maintain a regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.