SEASON DATES: JUNE 25, 2023- SEPTEMBER 4, 2023
Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club (www.outdoors.org) is the oldest conservation and recreation organization in the United States. The AMC mission is to foster the protection, enjoyment and understanding of the outdoors, with a focus on the mountains, forests, rivers and trails from Washington, DC to Maine. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures.
The Ponkapoag Camp Waterfront Coordinator reports to and works closely with the Summer Manager. They will supervise the waterfront and are responsible for the safety of campers and day users by preventing and responding to emergencies while in and around the swimming area.
This seasonal part-time position is based at the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Ponkapoag Camp in Randolph, MA.
Located along the banks of a 230-acre Ponkapoag Pond in the 8,500-acre DCR Blue Hills Reservation, this purposefully rustic camp offers a wilderness experience just 15 minutes from Boston. We are a volunteer-managed camp that is committed to help preserve this critical environmental area and keep the Ponkapoag spirit alive!
What you’ll be doing:
- The primary responsibility of a Ponkapoag waterfront coordinator is to ensure the safety of campers and day users in the designated swimming area.
- Oversee activity in and around the pond area
- Explain and enforce rules, regulations and policies to ensure the safety of swimmers to both campers and day users
- Recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies
- Care and maintenance of all lifeguard equipment i.e. lifeguard board, first aid kit, buoys, and foam float
- Keep the dock and swim area clean and clear of any obstructions at all times
- Collect fees from day users
- Register campers for the use of Ponkapoag boats
- Monitor swim area for inclement weather
- Inspect swim and beach areas on a daily basis and report any unsafe conditions or equipment to the camp manager
- Complete additional duties as assigned by the camp manager i.e. dock, equipment, pond and beach area maintenance