Skip to main content


Job Details

Middletown Garden Center - Middletown, OH



This position is responsible for producing accurate, balanced register drawers and maintaining a smooth flowing checkout system while also providing competent and exceptional customer service.


  • Greets customers as they reach the checkout area and handles the transaction in a logical progression to achieve optimum speed and accuracy
  • Ensures that customers are processed promptly, questions are answered and any problems are properly handled
  • Makes certain that all cash and charge sales are rung properly, that correct change is given and that receipts are handed to the customers
  • Boxes or bags the customer’s purchases with care, offers any helpful suggestions relating to the product and gives guarantee and planting instructions whenever applicable
  • Directs problems that may arise with customers in the checkout line to the Store Team Leader or Store Supervisor
  • Answers phone calls and ensures that all calls are properly directed and that phone customers receive prompt assistance


  • Use the radio when needed
  • Performs carryout service for customers when necessary and retrieves carts from the parking area
  • Is responsible for the general tidiness and cleanliness of the cash register areas; dusts and sweeps daily and empties the waste containers frequently
  • Attends weekly training meetings when assigned
  • Assumes any other responsibilities that the Store Supervisor or the Store Team Leader may assign


This position description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of accountabilities, duties, responsibilities of requirements. Any individual may be required to perform any other job-related activities or functions requested by his or her manager, subject to reasonable accommodation. Berns Greenhouse and Garden Center has the right to modify this job description to reflect changes in essential job duties made necessary by changing organizational needs, subject to reasonable accommodation.



  • Ethical, dependable, honest and trustworthy
  • Polite, courteous, patient, and the ability to handle difficult people with tact
  • Strong attention to detail and accuracy
  • Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and figure percentages
  • Excellent communication
  • Previous retail customer service experience a plus
  • Initiative, adaptability and flexibility in schedule
  • Ability to frequently lift up to 25 pounds
  • Ability to talk, see and hear with or without reasonable accommodations
  • Constant walking, bending, carrying, lifting, kneeling, pushing, pulling, etc.


The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.  Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.



              Up to 90% of this job is performed inside the building and the remaining 10% could be outside.  When outside there is exposure to all types of weather: heat, sun, high humidity, rain or cold. There is exposure to packaged soils and soil amendments, packaged chemicals, pollen, seeds and various types of plants.  The tools used in this job include cash registers, calculators, computers, sign machine, fax, copier and pallet jack. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.  The employee is most frequently required to stand and walk.  There is the frequent need for lifting items up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds with assistance.  Often the employee is required to stoop, kneel and crouch as well as use their hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. While performing these duties this person is required to talk, see and hear.


Berns Greenhouse and Garden Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.