Picture yourself at an amazing organization committed to inspire a lasting love and appreciation for dance through artistic excellence, exhilarating performances, innovative choreography and superb educational programs. At Houston Ballet, we recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming and anti-racist organization where students, dancers, musicians, production crew, staff, trustees and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. Join us, and you’ll be surrounded by creative teams who challenge you, support you, inspire you, and celebrate artistic achievement.
Summary: The Assistant Director, Special Events position is responsible for multiple projects and managing all aspects of Houston Ballet special events including planning, implementation and execution. The position requires an organized, self-motivated and proactive individual that has excellent interpersonal communication skills and attention to detail.
*Please note: This position does require significant work time outside the normal business hours.
- Work closely with the Senior Director, Special Events and other directors within the development department to formulate the special events fundraising strategy and efforts for Houston Ballet
- Manage all aspects of Houston Ballet special events (signature and supporting events) including; Onstage Dinner, Ballet Ball and Raising the Barre including planning, implementation, and execution
- Provide leadership and direction in the planning and execution of high-quality events and functions
- Develop strategy for cultivation and stewardship of special events donors
- Prepare, manage and monitor budgets for each fundraising event and for the special events area of development
- Manage a personal portfolio of prospects and donors (exact number to be determined)
- Work closely with Special Events Associate and provide oversight of event calendars, communications, financial tracking and gift acknowledgement process for event related revenue and expenses
- Operate as an integral member of the Development Department team
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum REQUIRED Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum three to five years development/fundraising and event planning experience
- Ability to proactively manage multiple tasks, prioritize work and be able to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to create fundraising strategies and manage budget and sales tracking
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Detail oriented
- A respect for confidentiality
- Ability to collaborate, take initiative and make effective decisions
- Strong verbal, written, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills
- Solid writing, editing and presentation ability
- Experience with Windows based applications including knowledge of database, Internet, spreadsheet, and Microsoft Office
Preferred ADDITIONAL Qualifications:
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Tessitura experience a significant plus
*Only applicants that meet the required qualifications and that submit a cover letter and resume will be considered for this position.
Due to the large number of applications we receive,
we will not be able to acknowledge receipt of your resume.
NO PHONE CALL INQUIRES, PLEASE.
Houston Ballet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed,
national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job-related disability or marital status.
Houston Ballet’s shared values are essential to our success as a world-class ballet company and academy. These values guide our decisions and behaviors and shape our culture.
- EXCELLENCE: We are passionate about results. Our programs are recognized and awarded for excellence. We are committed to delivering quality programs at the highest standard. Work in all departments matches the caliber of the programming on stage.
- ENGAGED: We are proud to be a part of a company that produces art and trains artists. We attend performances and are tremendous advocates for the education and community engagement programs we offer. We are “all in” and well-versed in the mission of Houston Ballet.
- DRIVEN: We are driven to take goals and run with them. We are excited to deliver results beyond expectations. We are accountable for our actions and work. We reinvent Standard Operations Procedures, leaving our jobs better than we found them. Much of our work product becomes the standard for individuals who will fill our roles in the years to come.
- COLLABORATIVE: We unite around Houston Ballet’s mission and support each other in reaching goals. We share information widely and generously and treat our team members, customers, and patrons with respect and sensitivity. We embrace inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. We recognize our responsibility to be an open, welcoming, and anti-racist organization where students, artists, staff, trustees, and volunteers of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work and serve. We nurture the growth and understanding of how each of us fits into the larger picture and we celebrate organizational achievements.
- PATRON-CENTERED: Our patrons (subscribers/supporters/donors/stakeholders) are at the center of all we do and are at the top of our minds in our decisions and actions. Our patrons are delighted by the excellent customer service they receive at every interaction at Houston Ballet.