Job Title: Marketing Director, Publishing Strategy
Reports To: Senior Marketing Director, Publishing Strategy
Square Enix, the company behind some of the world’s most popular action and RPG brands including Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Outriders, is looking for a highly strategic, experienced, motivated marketing leader, who can deliver the full commercial potential of our portfolio of games across Europe, the Americas and Australia / New Zealand.
Reporting to Marketing Lead, Publishing Strategy the Marketing Director will be responsible for the creation of integrated marketing strategies that are innovative and engaging to drive commercial success across the assigned titles.
The role requires a strategic leader and creative thinker, with a high level of marketing and leadership experience with a strong passion for the games. The Marketing Director will be responsible for building the pan-Western publishing strategy, working with international stakeholders across various disciplines on the titles assigned to this role.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to define clear goals and develop creative, high-impact strategies and activities to achieve those goals, based on a deep understanding of intended audiences.
- Works closely with other Publishing Team members comprised of cross functional leads for PR, Social, Sales, Community, Creative, Project management to build integrated Publishing Strategies for all assigned titles.
- Identifies targeting and positioning proposition, knowledge gaps and research needs for assigned projects. Works with Regional and Shared Services teams to gather input and builds alignment around media strategies, partnership strategies and owned channel strategies.
- Works with IP owners to gain approvals and build campaigns and assets adhering to brand guidelines.
- Works closely with regional teams to communicate and deliver key project updates to milestones, features, strategies, and business objectives.
- For each assigned title, identifies and communicates 18-month key marketing beats, campaign calendar from announce through to post-launch support.
- Works with Publishing Strategy Lead, Marketing Lead, Regional Sales Lead and Publishing Sales Planner to deliver a full SKU plan aligning with the CBU.
- Works with Regional sales team, Publishing Sales Planner, Publishing Lead and CBU Marketing Lead to set achievable and market informed pre-order targets and builds campaigns to deliver results.
- Works closely regional marketing teams to brief and present important topics to the Regional teams including project kick-offs and the reveal of the Publishing Strategy in line with Publishing schedules and Go To Market planning timelines.
- Reviews Regional Marketing teams’ Go To Market plans to ensure that they are on brand, that they deliver against the Publishing Strategy, and that they are feasible.
- Oversees marketing campaign asset creation for assigned titles across the Western regions. Works with development teams to identify assets to be created for Western use and where those assets will be created. For externally created assets, works with Creative Lead and Creative team to brief agencies, evaluate work, and obtain necessary internal approvals.
- Works closely with the Creative lead, SEW Creative and External agencies to demonstrate a strong creative vision for campaigns under the guidance of the Marketing Lead. Works with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the game title’s core values, campaign’s key messaging is communicated to deliver high quality materials on budget and on time.
- Ensures their team has clear goals and development plans. Provides timely regular feedback and recognition for work.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree preferred in management, marketing or communications
- 8+ years of experience in gaming marketing, technology or consumer products.
- Skilled in licensing or managing licensed IP products.
- Possesses exceptional project management, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Experience working across international business units.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience in working with development teams to build consensus and strategic alignment.
- Relationship management with brand partners preferable.
- Japanese language skills and/or experience working with Japanese corporations is a bonus.
Competencies, Skills and Attributes
- Proven experience of brand marketing & planning.
- Demonstration of the ability to take the initiative and lead by example.
- Proven ability to lead and influence diverse groups of people to achieve desired results.
- Strong presence, presentation skills and professional maturity.
- Flexibility and willingness to independently navigate areas of unfamiliarity.
- Passion for gaming.
- Strong business acumen.