TOTH is currently seeking candidates for an experienced Substation Design Engineer to join our Substation Engineering Department. This position will work on the physical engineering design of substations, provide support during the construction phase of substation projects, and provide project management throughout the lifecycle of the project.
You will be involved in all physical design aspects of substation projects including completing detailed scoping documents, material specification, performing common substation design functions including design for electrical equipment layouts, rigid bus, fire protection, grounding systems, lightning protection, lighting, cable and conduit systems, control building layouts, and bills of material, as well as interfacing with the CAD department for creation of construction drawings.
You will work with a team to evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and solutions to produce a completed substation design. Work will include multiple projects of moderate to large size for electric utilities throughout the country.
Any additional responsibilities, including managing a project team, will be commensurate with the candidates experience level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform detailed analysis and calculations to support engineering design utilizing various software tools
- Apply industry codes, standards, and best practices to various elements of substation design
- Utilize quality assurance processes, procedures, guides, and checklists to deliver a quality substation design
- Evaluate design and cost trade-offs for design alternatives
- Produce material specifications for major equipment and various substation materials
- Perform project management duties including developing project schedules and construction estimates, coordinating and leading weekly meetings with the contractor, and reviewing payment applications
- Visit project sites to review conformance of construction to drawings and specifications and provide a punch list of final items to be completed prior to the completion of construction
- Additional duties may be assigned, as needed