The mission of Ravenswood Family Health Network (RFHN) is to improve the health of the community by providing culturally sensitive, integrated primary and preventative health care to all, regardless of ability to pay or immigration status, and collaborating with community partners to address the social determinants of health.
Ravenswood Family Dentistry (RFD) is a Federally Qualified Health Center’s dental clinic located in East Palo Alto, California. We offer dental care to people of all ages, regardless of their ability to pay. As a multi-cultural community dental clinic, our goal is to provide excellent comprehensive dental care to our patients and promote oral health.
The full/part time General Dentist is responsible for providing comprehensive clinical dental services and preventive dental care in a community health center setting and in other community settings such as school-based health center or mobile van. The General Dentist works with dental assistants and hygienists, and supervises and mentors to dental residents. This position is a member of the clinical team supporting PCMH standards and practices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be performed in accordance with RFHN Policies and Procedures
- Serves as a member of a cross-functional team of Dentists that provides exceptional patient care, and performs four-handed dentistry and oral surgery.
- Handles all aspects of general dentistry.
- Performs diagnostic and restorative procedures including endodontics and fixed and removable prosthesis.
- Treats oral diseases (hard and soft tissue) and confers with physicians as appropriate to develop treatment plan.
- Utilizes clinical examination and diagnostic imaging and instruments to evaluate oral health, diagnose diseases, and develop appropriate treatment plans.
- Formulates and carries out dental treatments within scope of training and experience and refers complex dental procedures.
- Uses personal protective equipment to protect patients, staff, and self from infectious diseases.
- Advises or instructs patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, or oral health care services.
- Participates in after hours on-call with other dentists.
- Records patient-dentist transactions as they occur in the patient’s dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient, and the care or treatment provided. Additionally, completes referrals, data collections, instruments, and other records or paperwork as required from time to time by the organization.
- Educates individuals in the nature of oral health related conditions and in the general promotion of oral health related disease prevention.
- Demonstrates good time management skills and evidence-based approaches to dental care.
- Serves on the dental staff and other health center committees as assigned.
- Assists in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of community health center staff as requested.
- Designs, develops, and implements appropriate Dental Department policies, protocols and procedures as directed by the Chief Dental Officer, which are compliant with the most current accepted professional standards.
- Assists in the provision of technical assistance and health education to the community as requested.
- Participates in community oral health screening and prevention programs sponsored by RFHN as requested by the Chief Dental Officer.
- Participates in short-term and long-term program planning for the Dental Department and the agency, including development of goals and objectives.
- Provides consultation to the Chief Operating Officer and the Board of Directors regarding dental and oral health issues in the absence of the Chief Dental Officer.
- Travels when necessary to fulfill the organization’s needs and attends meetings as necessary to represent the organization and/or the Dental Department.
- Assists in the coordination and integration of the organization’s dental programs and services with other corporate programs and services for the welfare of the organization’s patients.
- Responsible for personal full compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dentistry and the clinical provision of dental care as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
- Participates in recruitment/retention activities of the organization as necessary.
- As directed by the Chief Dental Officer, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
General Agency Duties
- Fosters an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among patients and staff; maintains strictest confidentiality concerning all patient and employee information.
- Promotes and exemplifies in action, the mission, goals, policies, procedures and principles of RFHN to supervisees and other clinic staff.
- Participates in outreach activities, agency advocacy, and serves on ad hoc committees, as requested.
- Attends RFHN staff retreats and Board of Directors meetings, as requested by the Chief Dental Officer.
- Other duties as assigned and requested.