The SCCA Proton Therapy Center has an outstanding opportunity for a Patient Navigator (Full-Time, Day Shifts).The Patient Navigator is responsible for coordinating the delivery of medical care, and the patient’s access to various health care services. The Patient Navigator will coordinate the patient’s entry into and through the health care system, coordinate patient care services and serve as patient advocate.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director of Patient Access, the Patient Navigator will use knowledge of the Center policies/procedures, insurance coverage requirements, to coordinate all patient services such as registration/intake, arranging diagnostic tests or procedures, scheduling consultation and follow up requests, and scheduling services of other hospital departments to facilitate delivery of care to patients.
Job Duties & Performance Standards
- Act as primary liaison for the SCCA Proton Therapy Center and represent departmental physician (s) with the hospital, patient and family, referring physicians, outside agencies, staff from outside hospitals and general public by providing information and advice regarding Center services.
- Use ability to triage medical information in a specific medical specialty.
- Use effective oral and written communication with a variety of Health Care Professionals, patients and their advocates, hospital and clinic personnel, representatives of insurance companies and other organizations related to the health care industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to be organized and effectively prioritize work tasks for the needs of the Center.
- Request interpreters as appropriate for appointments, admissions, and surgery.
- Use a variety of computer systems such as Mosaiq, EPIC, ESI, ORCA/Mindscape, OneHealthPort and Microsoft Products.
- Maintain knowledge of billing and medical record documentation requirements, diagnostic tests and procedures and specialized pre-procedure instructions with guidelines set by the department or Medical Director.
- Answer the telephone in a professional and courteous manner and direct calls appropriately.
- Be responsible for reviewing registration data such as demographic, insurance, referral, next of kin etc., and updating online or providing information to appropriate personnel so that an update may be done.
- May provide clinic charges for treatment and related services to patients or prospective patients to the clinic. May provide estimated charges based on plan of care for purpose of patient deposits when patient is determined to be self-pay. This is done under the direction of the Associate Director of Patient Access.
- Contact review organizations and insurance companies to ensure prior approval requirements are met before patients enter the system such as pre-authorization and referrals; present necessary medical information such as history, diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment plan.
- Act as a liaison between patients, consulting physician, referring physician or outside agency to coordinate patient appointment and treatment. Will coordinate the exchange of information either written or verbal before and after patients are seen.
- Obtain all necessary medical records, diagnostic studies, pathology items, etc. that are needed for patient care.
- Coordinate the patient's entry into the system to include the availability of necessary medical records, coordination of tests, procedures and appointments with all hospital departments.
- Schedule patient appointments by following the appropriate guidelines by department and physician. Enter directly into appointment system or triage to appropriate person.
- Responsible for coordination of pre-admission tests and procedures.
- Responsible for communicating any cancellations or changes to appropriate clinical staff.