Position Title: Student Recruiter
Department: Charter School
Reports to: Dean, Student Success
FLSA Status: Full time / Non-exempt (hourly)
Compensation: $26.44 to $31.25 per hour
Schedule: Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm; Occasional evening / weekend work may be necessary for recruiting events
Location: This position is 100% in-person, located at 2650 Senter Road, San Jose, CA 95111.
Travel: Local travel may be required up to 15% of the time.
About the San Jose Conservation Corps (SJCC+CS):
San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School offers an engaging work environment focused on growth, teamwork, and making a positive impact. We value collaboration, respect diverse perspectives, and provide opportunities for employees to contribute their skills to create a hopeful and sustainable community. Whether you're passionate about education and development, environmental conservation, or community engagement, joining our team means embracing a shared commitment to service and the chance to make a meaningful difference. Be a part of our mission to create transformational change and learn more at www.sjcccs.org.
Under direction of the Charter School Dean of Student Success, develop and implement outreach, enrollment, and retention activities and services throughout Santa Clara County to connect participants with program services, determine youth eligibility using specific criteria, and provide Charter School orientations. Coordinates all campus school tours. Attend various off-site events and provide outreach presentations to various community agencies. Must be willing to work some evenings, nights, and weekends when necessary for outreach events. Collect and complete all documentation required to enroll each individual participant. Does related work as required.
Outreach and Recruitment
• Builds relationships with community partners and feeder schools in order to identify potential students for the program.
• Recruit, screen and enroll eligible out-of-school and in school youth for participation in San Jose Conservation Corps & Charter School.
• Identify community events and find opportunities to promote our school and raise awareness about our program to members of the community.
• Initiates contact with possible eligible students and coordinates all communication of enrollment process.
• Establishes contact with youth who have requested information and reviews applications.
• Coordinate interviews with applicants to understand eligibility for San Jose Conservation Corps & Charter School and obtain education history.
• Develop and maintain relationships with Community Based Organizations and other schools in order to share recruitment materials and present/table at outreach opportunities.
• Meets with school counselors and other community partners as requested.
• Plans and coordinates the logistics of all school counselors in campus tours visits to provide an overview of school facilities and information career education programs
• Share recruitment materials and present San Jose Conservation Corps & Charter School program in spaces where community members gather.
• Manage all inquiries of San Jose Conservation Corps & Charter School and distribute recruitment materials.
Intake and Orientation
• Builds relationships with prospective students through the intake process.
• Meets with the youth on campus to provide detailed program information and facilitate enrollment and program eligibility.
• Coordinates new student orientation for all incoming students.
• Assess all incoming students of potential barriers to participation in San Jose Conservation Corps & Charter School. • Collect all required eligibility and enrollment documentation.
• Partner with community based organizations to conduct student support groups/programs.
• Facilitates follow up groups with student orientation participants two weeks after their orientation date to assess needs/supports.
• Participates in data reviews and a processes to determine student services and support needs for engagement and retainment, including working with students and families to reengage, maintain learning and ultimately graduating
• Provides support in determining and coordinating referrals and supports to other agencies as appropriate.
Office and Administration
• Enters all data into the internal database system.
• Works closely with the principal and other school staff to maintain proper documentation of student’s enrollment forms in compliance.
• Develops and implements a recruitment strategic plan which will include monthly recruitment targets set in collaboration with the Principal.
• Develops and maintains a database of contacts and community resources to help identify and source eligible students and trainees.
• Maintain accurate and up to date data and information on all incoming students in order to support accurate student files; assists in the creation of student enrollment records.
• Prepares enrollment reports as needed.
• Keeps confidential all personal information gathered through the enrollment process.
• Other duties as assigned by Charter School Principal and/or Charter School Recruitment & Outreach Manager.
Salary and Benefits
• Salary: $26.44-$31.25 per hour. Placement on the compensation scale is determined using a number of factors, including the candidate’s level of experience and education that either meets or significantly exceeds the minimum requirements.
• 403(b) Retirement Benefits with up to 3% employer match after 1 year of service
• Credit Union and Employee Assistance Plan
• Medical, Vision, Dental, and Life Insurance
• Holiday, Vacation, and Sick Pay
• Education Assistance Program
• Subsidized annual Eco Pass
Work Environment & Requirements
Position may require prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in using a computer keyboard. The incumbent may be required to drive and operate a vehicle up to 15% of the time. The position may require the incumbent to occasionally lift up to 25lbs. Additionally, the position requires far
and near vision when driving, reading, and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service. The nature of the work may require the incumbent to work evenings, weekends and holidays. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
Equipment Used: Desktop computer, laptop computer, keyboard, mouse, cellular phone, handheld (wired) phone, personal vehicle or company vehicle (sedan).
Reasonable Accommodations: The San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, SJCC+CS will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact
NOTICE: The statements herein are intended to give a broad description of this job function and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Other duties and/or projects may be assigned.
SJCC Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
The San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. The Corps and School does not discriminate based on an individual's race, sex, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, hair style, hair texture or any other basis prohibited by law. Working at SJCC+CS means that you agree to and abide by our commitment to equity and our expectation that we all work together to create an inclusive work environment focused on a sense of belonging.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, benefits, and training. SJCC+CS makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
The San Jose Conservation Corps + Charter School is an “At-Will” employer. This means that employment with SJCC+CS is voluntarily entered into and staff members are free to resign at any time. Similarly, SJCC+CS may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause or prior notice, as it deems appropriate. This at-will employment relationship can be changed only in a written agreement signed by the staff member and the Executive Director of
**SJCC+CS IS A MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION EMPLOYER**
All new hires will be required to provide proof of vaccination absent an approved medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. If a new hire is in the process of being vaccinated, their start date may be adjusted to a future date after they have been vaccinated. Fully vaccinated means at it has been at least two weeks since the person has completed the entire recommended initial series of a COVID-19 vaccine.
To apply, please complete an application via the San Jose Conservation Corps’ website at www.sjcccs.org/jobs. The application deadline is 11:59 PM on November 30, 2023.
Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided.
Please contact Hefziba Owens, Recruiter / Onboarding Specialist via email at HOwens@sjcccs.org if you have any questions.