Title: Specialist, Health Policy and Payment
Department/Unit: Health Policy and Payment/Public Affairs
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: This position is on-site at the APTA headquarters in Alexandria, VA
Do you want to contribute to an organization dedicated to improving societal health? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about making a difference? Are you excited to work in a new state-of-the-art building designed to encourage movement, participation, and employee health?
Then you want to work for APTA!
APTA is the trusted leader for the physical therapy profession, representing more than 100,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapy students. Our approximately 150 employees support the association’s mission to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society. Learn more in our Association Profile.
Located in Alexandria, Virginia, APTA has outstanding employee benefits, including flexible work schedules, generous retirement contributions, and travel subsidies for employees who choose public and active transportation.
This position manages relationships with large insurers, advocates on behalf of the profession, and communicates important information to members. A member of Public Affairs Unit that implements efforts to support organizational priorities and activities within the Health Policy and Payment department, this position supports efforts with a focus on departmental contributions to public engagement strategy for the Association.
Participates and support efforts for appointed and member volunteer groups and APTA leadership. Supports preparation of compliance requirements and documents and seeks out opportunities for continuous quality improvement in department activities. Effective champion of the Association vision, mission and brand.
- Outreach and communication with large insurance companies
- Communication with members on latest payer developments
- Ability to read complicated insurance documents to glean meaning
- Implements work plans related to respective activities of the Health Policy and Payment department which align with organizational priorities and the Association’s public engagement strategy
- Prepares and completes required departmental compliance forms including ensuring required information is accurate for timely submission of all required forms.
- Contributes to and implements recommendations on advancing operations within the department to gain efficiencies, and grow revenue, if applicable.
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in department activities, including supporting department director, and unit leader in annual assessments of respective budget activities described above.
- Supports the Public Affairs team in the implementation of the Association’s programs, priorities, and projects in partnership with department director and staff colleagues.
- Prepares, in consultation with the Director, department level data which supports and aligns with the APTA data strategy
- Upholds and fosters team values.
- Complies with all APTA policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned to foster achievement of association priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s or Juris Doctor preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience with and understanding of federal and state health care policy analysis and advocacy
- Knowledge of workings of Congress, federal health agencies, and state Medicaid programs
- Experience formulating and advancing public policies
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate complicated issues clearly and effectively to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of value-based care, alternative payment models and value-based purchasing models a plus.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements when applying.
Principals only; no agencies; no phone calls, please. Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be contacted by Human Resources.
The American Physical Therapy Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
APTA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information please visit e-verify.uscis.gov.
APTA is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and invites and welcomes applicants with diversity of experience, mindset, and skills to add value to APTA and our staff community.