Title: Specialist, Research (Associate Managing Editor, Journal)
Department/Unit: Research/Scientific Affairs
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Alexandria, VA
Do you want to contribute to an organization dedicated to improving societal health? Would you like to collaborate with colleagues who are passionate about making a difference? Are you excited to work in a new state-of-the-art building designed to encourage movement, participation, and employee health?
Then you want to work for APTA!
APTA is the trusted leader for the physical therapy profession, representing more than 100,000 physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapy students. Our approximately 150 employees support the association’s mission to build a community that advances the profession of physical therapy to improve the health of society. Learn more in our Association Profile.
Located in Alexandria, Virginia, APTA has outstanding employee benefits, including flexible work schedules, generous retirement contributions, and travel subsidies for employees who choose public and active transportation.
The American Physical Therapy Association’s Journal engages and inspires an international readership on topics related to physical therapy and rehabilitation, with the expressed purpose of improving patient care. The Associate Managing Editor manages daily Editorial Office operations and works closely with the Managing Editor (Director), editorial contractors, and authors to ensure timeliness and quality of publication. The Associate Managing Editor works closely with the Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor, Editorial Board, and association communications staff on content dissemination and post-publication activities such as social media and podcasts. Supports unit efforts with a focus on departmental contributions to membership strategy, scientific strategy, and operations strategy for the Association. Participates and supports efforts for appointed and member volunteer groups and APTA leadership, as applicable. Supports preparation of applicable compliance requirements and documents and seeks out opportunities for continuous quality improvement in department activities. Effective champion of the Association vision, mission, and brand.
- Serve as daily liaison with editorial/production contractors, monitoring quality and timeliness against target thresholds, ensuring that manuscripts meet requirements and follow current policies and procedures, and responding to queries.
- Manage specific sections of the journal, such as letters to the editor and special issue submissions; includes some manuscript editing.
- Serve as the primary contact for the PTJ website and work with copublisher to implement website content updates and enhancements. Includes regular updates of author guidelines.
- Provide support to PTJ social media team (editors, volunteers, graphic designer, podcast producer).
- Work with Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor to maintain and grow the author and reviewer community; engage in Editorial Board meetings and orientations.
- Implements work plans related to respective activities of the Research department which align with organizational priorities and the Association’s membership strategy, scientific strategy, and operations strategy.
- Prepares and completes required departmental compliance forms, if applicable, including ensuring required information is accurate for timely submission of all required forms.
- Contributes to and implements recommendations on advancing operations within the department to gain efficiencies, and grow revenue, if applicable.
- Contributes to quality assurance and continuous quality/performance improvement in department activities, including supporting department vice president, and unit leaders in annual assessments of respective budget activities described above.
- Supports the Scientific Affairs team in the implementation of the Association’s programs, priorities, and projects in partnership with department vice president and staff colleagues
- Prepares, in consultation with the Unit leads, department level data which supports and aligns with the APTA data strategy Research department which align with organizational priorities and the Association’s membership strategy, scientific strategy, and operations strategy.
- Upholds and fosters team values
- Complies with all APTA policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned to foster achievement of association priorities
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in English, Journalism, or Communications.
- 2-3 years’ experience in peer-reviewed publishing, preferably for a health care publication
- Excellent organizational and communication (written and verbal) skills; detail-oriented.
- Proficiency in AMA editorial style, particularly statistical style, strongly desired.
- Knowledge of and expertise with peer review and manuscript management database systems; proficiency with ScholarOne a plus.
- Understanding of permissions, Commission on Publication Ethics (COPE) best practices, and detection software (knowledge of iThenticate desired).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Outlook; proficiency with Adobe Acrobat highly desired.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, demonstrated sensitivity to issues of confidentiality, and a strong member-service orientation.
- Ability to work cross-departmentally and collaboratively with staff members and volunteers alike.
- Strong follow-through to meet deadlines.
- Ability to act independently within association policy and in accordance with guidelines established by the Director, Journal.
10%- local, national
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, when submitting your application.
Principals only; no agencies; no phone calls, please. Candidates selected to participate in an interview will be contacted by Human Resources.
The American Physical Therapy Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
APTA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, please visit e-verify.uscis.gov.
APTA is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and invites and welcomes applicants with diversity of experience, mindset, and skills to add value to APTA and our staff community.