POSITION: Wig Technician
DEPARTMENT: Costume Department
CLASSIFICATION: Full time/ Hourly/ Non-Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Wig Supervisor/ Costume Director
COMPENSATION: Minimum $17.51/hr
Founded in 1947 by Nina Vance, the Alley Theatre is a pioneer of regional theatre, and one of the leading nonprofit theatre companies in the United States. The Alley has been awarded the prestigious Regional Theatre Tony Award® and the Texas Medal of Arts Award. The Alley has transferred productions to Broadway, Off-Broadway, major European Festivals, and to 40 American cities. Unique among regional theatres, the Alley is committed to maintaining a Resident Acting Company and providing them with work year-round. Nationally recognized directors, actors, playwrights, and designers from across the country have regularly joined the Resident Acting Company.
Rob Melrose, Artistic Director at the Alley, took over as artistic leader of the organization in 2019. His vision for the future of the Alley is both thrilling and ambitious. His strategic goals include upholding the Alley’s artistic excellence, keeping longtime Alley Theatre devotees eager to return each season, and creating productions and cultivating new audiences that are as diverse and vibrant as the city of Houston.
Rob Melrose, Managing Director Dean Gladden and Alley’s leadership team are committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all aspects of the Theatre’s programming and operations. We are conscious about fostering an environment where everyone is encouraged to bring their authentic selves. We embrace differences and strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Under the direction of the Wig Supervisor, the Wig Technician will be responsible for the efficient execution of wig- and hair-related needs and maintenance for productions at the Alley Theatre, as well as preparing and maintaining the Alley’s backstage wig spaces and dressing rooms for technical rehearsals and performances. Based on production needs, the Wig Technician will also work with the Wig Supervisor and Wig Assistant on wig ventilating, styling, and wig-fronting projects.
- Assist the Wig Supervisor in the construction preparation, and styling of wigs, facial hair, hair pieces, and prosthetics for photo calls, technical rehearsals, and performances at the Alley Theatre.
- Assist the Wig Supervisor and Wig Assistant in the preparation of the backstage wig spaces and dressing rooms for technical rehearsals and performances.
- Help the Wig Supervisor and Wig Assistant load all wigs, hair pieces, and specialty pieces into Dressing Rooms.
- Run the wig, hair, and/or makeup needs for Alley Theatre productions, which will include assisting performers apply wigs, style hair, and apply makeup.
- Maintain, re-style, and re-set wigs throughout performance runs, and manage the supply needs of any specialty makeup or hair supplies.
- Communicate pertinent information regarding wigs and makeup from performances to the Wig Supervisor, Wardrobe Supervisor, and/or Costume Director.
- Help strike wigs for each production, which will include the cleaning and storing of all wigs and hair pieces, in coordination with the Wig Supervisor.
- Assist in the maintenance of the Alley’s wig and makeup offices, spaces, and dressing rooms, and notifying the Wig Supervisor of any necessary repairs or replacements.
- Related duties as assigned by the Wig Supervisor or the Costume Director.