LifeCenter Northwest (LCNW) an Organ Procurement Organization (OPO) headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, has a rare opportunity for a full-time Surgical Organ Procurement Specialist III (Procurement Surgeon). The surgeon will join our expert team of four surgical organ recovery specialists who have decades of experience in organ recovery. Our team is committed to outstanding surgical outcomes and is interested in supporting the professional development of the right candidate. The ideal candidate is one who has surgical training in the field of transplantation or surgical recovery process, is driven to work collaboratively with our transplant centers to optimize donation outcomes, is a team player, is committed to the Pacific Northwest, and embraces continuous improvement.
The Surgical Organ Recovery Specialist III (SORS III) is primarily accountable for the surgical recovery process: surgical dissection, removal, and preparation of selected donor organs for transplantation in the operative setting. As such, it is the responsibility of the SORS III to assist in efforts to increase the availability of organs for transplantation and research by providing high-quality recovery services within the LifeCenter’s service area.
About LifeCenter Northwest (LCNW)
Established in 1997, LCNW is one of 57 OPOs in the United States and serves the largest geographic area, including Alaska, Montana, North Idaho, and Washington. We work collaboratively with more than 200 hospitals to save lives through organ and tissue donation. Our Vision is a future where no one dies on the organ transplant waiting list; high-quality tissue grafts are available to all in need; every donor and donor family is honored; and all employees are inspired and empowered to realize their highest potential in service of our mission.
There are 15 organ-specific transplant programs affiliated with LCNW representing nationally recognized health care systems and hospitals. This is a unique opportunity to join a successful OPO with a strong national reputation, driven by an extraordinary mission and a dedicated collaborative workforce. The model for organ recovery in the Pacific Northwest is the envy of other regions in the country and the dedication, teamwork, support, and expertise amongst our Organ Recovery Coordinators, Surgical Recovery Coordinators, and Surgical Organ Recovery Specialists is unsurpassed.
Given our large service area and our dedication to service, the capacity to travel and work stretches of on-call work along with your team are critical job requirements.
Schedule and Travel Requirements
- 24/7 on-call coverage for up to 34 weeks per year, including weekends, nights, and holidays. This would include primary and secondary call coverage
- Travel is essential to this position; consequently, the employee must be prepared to travel by personal automobile and charter and commercial aircraft within and outside the LCNW’s designated service area which includes Alaska, Montana, Northern Idaho, and Washington.
- MD, DO, or experienced Procurement professional
- Completion of an abdominal transplant fellowship or significant experience within the last two years in kidney, liver, and pancreas procurement
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to cope with high levels of stress and able to handle a heavy workload
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster, or applicable medical or religious exemption will be required as a condition of employment upon offer. For those that need to complete the vaccination series, start dates will be adjusted.