• For the safety of all, our company policies require full Covid-19 vaccination for all employees.
• Background with a significant amount of physical labor.
• Demonstrated emotional maturity required for the handling of human remains in various stages of decomposition.
• Comfort with basic hand and power tools and machinery.
• Ability to self-start.
• Ability to work at height (scissor lifts up to 15’).
• Ability to work around loud abrupt sounds, smells, and dust. Note that hardhats, steel toed work boots, gloves,earplugs/earmuffs, masks, and respirators are required for safety, depending on circumstances. Those with sensory issues should note that safety PPE is required and can make some accommodations unfeasible.
• Existing forklift operator and scissor lift operatorcertification(s), or ability to obtain required certifications. Recompose will pay for training associated with such certifications.
• Ability to work with mobile and computer applications is necessary for recording of NOR data and one’s own hours onsite. Use of a smart phone is required for some work tasks.
• Flexibility in terms of approaches and duties as the Recompose team is small and helping each other accomplish a variety of tasks is a necessity.
• Resilience, including the ability to manage own emotions, demonstrate self-control under pressure or adversity, and practice self-care.
• Reliable transportation: while a vehicle is not required, and alternative means of transportation are celebrated, the site in Seattle does not have great access to public transit.
• Commitment to working toward and advocating for climate healing, soil health, and environmental regeneration.
• Commitment to working at a company that strives to be anti-racist. Recompose is committed to advocating and protecting the rights of people of color, religious minorities, and undocumented people.
• Commitment to working at a company that strives to be feminist. Recompose is committed to advocating and protecting the rights of women, transgender people, and gender nonconforming people.
• This is a bargaining unit position, which means this position will be represented by a union, Local 89 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.
WORKING CONDITION AND LOCATION:
This position will report onsite to our Seattle location.
Work is done inside a warehouse, and can tend to be hot or cold, depending on the ambient temperature. Work can involve dust, smells, and loud abrupt noises, any of which can require the use of appropriate personal protective equipment such as gloves, hard hats, earplugs, masks, or respirators, all of which are provided by Recompose. Exposure to compost elements, which can include bacteria, fungus spores, insects, and ammonia, is likely.
Work is very physical in nature, requiring bending, twisting, lifting, and carrying. Use of hand and small power tools is required, as well as pressure washers, air compressors, and shop vacs. NOR Operators must be able to safely lift and carry 50 pounds for short periods, or lighter loads for longer. NOR Operators should be able to be on their feet for much of the day.
The Recompose NOR team works closely together and is seeking to cultivate and grow a positive, warm, enjoyable workplace culture. This work can be quite difficult on many levels. A willingness to listen, be adaptable, and sensitive to the needs of other team members is an important aspect to this position. Recompose strives to nourish a culture of inclusion where authenticity and individuality are celebrated.
SALARY RANGE AND BENEFIT INFORMATION
$29.34 per hour
• Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance plans
• Paid time off including 4 floating holidays, New Years Day, Juneteenth, Labor Day, 150 hours of PTO
• Bereavement leave of 75 hours yearly
• Sick leave accruing at 1 hour/40 hours worked
• Inflation indexed yearly salary increase
• Wellness and technology stipends
• 3% 401k employer contribution
Our goal as an employer is to have a feminist, antiracist culture, and to employ a diverse, inclusive workforce that is representative of all people we do or might serve. As such, we do not discriminate on any protected status, and moreover, we celebrate applications from persons of color, persons of all genders and gender expressions, persons of any sexual orientation, the formerly incarcerated, and persons of any other protected class, such as religion, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, pregnancy status, or genetic status. Please feel free to let us know in your application if you fit into any such category/ies, or if you need a reasonable accommodation to apply.