The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
We are seeking a Communications Manager to support a small and dynamic team. The communications goals of FPHNYC are to promote the work of FPHNYC while explaining and demonstrating the importance of public health and the work of the NYC DOHMH. The communications manager will develop, oversee, and implement a communications plan to ensure effective communications is integrated into every aspect of FPHNYC’s work. The communications manager will be responsible for expanding FPHNYC’s reach and profile as a leading voice for promoting public health in NYC.
The Communications manager will need to develop a strong working relationship with the communications staff at the DOHMH, our primary partner, to ensure that we amplify critical DOHMH communications and content in a timely manner as well as ensure that our content is scientifically accurate and consistent with DOHMH messages.
The Communications Manager will lead FPHNYC’s media/press relations, digital (social media/mobile/website), publications, and campaign communication. As a senior role on a small team, the ideal candidate is a seasoned communications strategist with at least five years experience in communications, who is committed to FPHNYC’s mission and is flexible and effective in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
This is a full time position.
- Create high-impact, multi-channel communications strategies that elevate our organizing campaigns, educate our audiences, and inspire people to support our work;
- Work with relevant staff to ensure consistent media coverage of FPHNYC and ensure that FPHNYC’s goals are advanced through new, paid, and traditional media outlets;
- Manage all social media platforms while developing new strategies for list growth and conversion to other forms of participation;
- Develop and manage monthly analytics plan for tracking organizational communications progress against core deliverables;
- Develop messaging, talking points, graphics, videos, photos, publications and other communications collateral for programmatic work;
- Manage design of publications including annual reports, reports, programmatic newsletters, and donor communications;
- Develop and implement crisis and rapid response communications plans responsive to urgent conditions;
- Manage the website, including adding new content, updating design, and increasing traffic, giving, and downloads;
- Train and support other staff, partners, and members to be effective media spokespeople and help amplify our voice; and
- Support the FPHNYC leadership team with an eye on constantly improving the way that our communications work supports our programmatic and fundraising goals.